Getting Lip Injections Without "Duck Look"?

My top lip bearly shows.Im very self consious about it.Ive provided a picture of my lips.How would I archieve getting full lips with out the "duck lips"?

Experienced injector can improve your lip

Looking at your picture, injectable fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane can help augment the lip, although realistic expectations are important.  Someone with your petite lips should not expect to look like Angelina Jolie afterward.  Filling your lip from behind the wet-dry border of your red upper lip, and filling mostly in the center of your lip will help to improve the size of your upper lip.  Sometimes, augmenting your philtral columns (the two vertical columns that connect the base of your nose to the tips of your upper lips/cupid's bow) can add structure to a thin upper lip.  Depending on the patient, a small amount of Botox or Dysport to the upper lip can also cause "pseudoeversion" of your upper lip--increasing the red show of your lip.  Good luck!

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Know your limitations

Megan,

As others have stated, the classic "duck lip" or tell tale sign of lip augmentation is injecting too much filler along the vermillion border (where the skin meets the red part of the lip).  There are limitations of what can be acheived with any given procedure, and that is why many of the answers suggest you seek the services of a physician experienced with lip augmentation.  That is not always easy to find out either.  Although friends and family can be helpful, sometimes asking your family doctor, or even someone like a hairdresser, someone who sees lots of results from cosmetic surgery in the community, is your best bet for where to get the proper recommendation.  There are lots of options out there, but there are also limits to what we can achieve, and this needs to be discussed with you thoroughly beforehand so you will not be disappointed.  Good Luck!

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Know your limitations

Megan,

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip Injections

Lips made to look beautifully plumped and contoured is one of my talents. The reason is that getting perfect lips is both an art and a science. But getting perfect lips is complicated. Before treatment I analyze the shape of your face in order to determine the right size desired. Then there is both the rim of the lip that gives contour, versus the body of the lip that gives plumpiness. Furthermore, some look better with only central 2/3 of the lips treated while others need the entire length of the lip enhanced. Lip fullness and definition can be achieved with the right filler. I like to start off with less rather than more, to avoid the "duck look". I customize your treatment to make your natural beauty stand out by injecting different areas. For example: enhancing the border rim, plumping the middle or enlarging and elongating the entire lip. Lips should contour the proportions of your face.

Lip Injections

Avoid the duck lip when having Lip Augmentation

Your upper lip is very thin and filling up the volume of that lip will create a more aesthetic balance between your upper and lower lip.  Fillers would be hard pressed to increase the upper lip to the required volume and IMHO, you are a candidate for an Alloderm Lip Implant or the solid silastic lip implant for the Lip Augmentation.

The Secrets To Natural Appearing Lip Augmentation

Lip Augmentation can be achieved while maintaining a very natural appearance. The key is to find an injector that has excellent techniue and a keen aesthetic sense.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

I want to have a lip augmentation but I am afraid of having fake looking lips. I just want them to have a better shape and a li

I love doing lip enhancement procedures as it can be done on my patients that are 20 or my patients that are 60 years old.  There is no one filler that is best for everyone, but that also means there are options to help everyone achieve their specific desired goals for their lips.

There is a full range of desires when it comes to lip augmentation. There is a full range of desires for lip augmentation.  Often when patients come in for the first time they are often worried of looking “overdone” or having the dreaded “duck lips.”  However just like a breast augmentation, if patients could change anything after their lip augmentation they wish they would have gone bigger! 

Lip augmentation is about giving patients the shape that they desire, not just big lips.  The art in lip augmentation in molding and shape the lips.  The perfect lip augmentation is about giving the lips a natural, sexy appearance.  Just making the lips bigger is not beautiful.  Enhancing the size while creating a shape makes the face look more youthful.  Lip augmentation can create a cupid’s bow and improve the overall shape of the lips without a “fake” or “overdone” appearance.

There are several options for patients that want a very natural appearance to their lips:

Restylane Refyne and Restylane Silk are both great products for patients that want a subtle augmentation to their lips.  The Refyne is a new product that last up to a year giving patients a lasting result.  These are great starter products as they will enhance your lips, but give you a very soft and natural appearance. 

Juvederm Ultra Plus and Restylane and the workhorse products for fillers as they have been around for years and patients tend to love them.  They last about a 6-months in the lips. 

Resylane Defyne and Juvederm Vollure both last about up to a year.  Both of these products will give patients a little more volume and fullness to their lips.  The Vollure and Defyne will also last up to a year giving patients a lasting-result the will love for their lip enhancements.

Lip enhancement can be done as a simple procedure in the office.  Patients come to the office have numbing cream applied to their lips.  I give them about 15 to 20 min to let the cream take affect and then the actual process of the lip injections takes about ten minutes. 

Patients can return to work or their daily life immediately after the simple office procedure is completed. 

Please consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon about your lip augmentation options.  

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. In my office I like to use dermal fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane Silk for lip augmentation. These are hyaluronic acid fillers that can easily be dissolved with an enzyme known as hyaluronidase if you are unhappy with the results. I recommend having a consultation with an experienced and talented injector to determine the best treatment plan for you. Best of Luck! 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Lip Augmentation

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Work with an experienced injector.

Megan

The first thing an experienced injector will tell you, is to understand the limits of what is possible in the upper lips.  The duck bill is the result of unnatural overfill in the upper lip.  It is make worse when volume is placed in the lip about the vermillion lip edge.  The key is to appreciate that only a certain amount of volume is acceptable in a given lip.  In addition, additional volume is probable needed in the lower lip to help maintain the volume relationship between the two lips.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Work with an experienced injector.

Megan

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip enhancement should look natural

Juvederm and Restylane are both wonderful fillers to naturally augment the lip. In your situation less would be better in the beginning, just because you pay for a syringe does not mean you need to inject it all. The way the filler is injected is key and I would make sure you have seen many of the patients your physician has done and make sure they have the same desired results you would like and no duck bills!!!

Michael Elam, MD

Lip enhancement should look natural

Michael Elam, MD

Lip Augmentation

There are many techniques for lip augmentation.  IF the patient wants a permanent result then consider the PERMA facial implant.  This is a soft silicone lip implant.  Check it out below. 

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon