Best Permanent Lip Augmentation

Is Lip augmentation via Fat grafting permanent? I'm thinking of having Lip augmentation done with Fat grafting. How much does it run? Is it permanent?

Lip augmentation

You can use Restylane for lip augmentation , however the results are not permanent.

Fat transfer to the lips, done correctly is permanent and when done right is Not Lumpy.

Silicone injection is NOT legal and not condoned as a filler, It can cause SILICONE GRANULOMAS. The silicone was used extensively in the past, we should learn from the past experisnces with the terrible granulomas we saw later.

FAT IS SUPERIOR IN THE PROPER HANDS OF A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON.

Permanent Lip Augmentation

Hi there-

I would wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Moelleken- permanent lip augmentation by injection of silicone is too prone to long term complications and irreversible deformity for me to recommend it to my patients- no matter what the technique is. It may give you a pleasing initial outcome, but with time the silicone will absolutely coalesce and run (with gravity), causing deformity which can be impossible to improve once it has occurred.

Using your own tissues, and especially with fascial fat grafting, the pleasing initial result can be trusted to be maintained over the long term, without fear of migration or long term deformity.

Permanent lip augmentation methods

We have a large series of lip augmentation patients who have had fascial-fat grafts from their own bodies (autologous nontraumatized fascial fat grafts). This method has proven very reliable at achieving soft, full results. We have found it to be much more reliable than fat injections, probably because the grafts do not need to be aspirated and then injected the way fat injections do. The grafts cannot be rejected because they come from the patient's own tissues.

I would strongly caution heavily against the use of silicone in any form for the lips, or any semi-permanent filler for that matter. Silicone and Artecoll and ArteFill can cause a huge chronic sweliing reaction over the years that becomes disfiguring and often uncorrectable in some patients.

Even patients injected with microdroplets of silicone can develop a blunting of the vermillion border and white roll of the lip that looks as though swollen lips had been sanded down. Silicone can run downhill and cause a very characteristic "trout lip" deformity over the years; several celebrities who have this have been public about their use of silicone.

Remember, anything but your own tissue has no defense against infection, or colonization, that is bacteria setting up shop in or on top of the filler.

Lip augmentation with fat grafting or autologous fascial fat grafts runs from $1500 to $5000 depending on the technique, anesthetic method, etc.

On a temporary basis, hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm work beautifully and have low risks.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Fat Grafting for Lip Augmentation

Fat Grafting is an excellent technique to achieve permanent lip augmentation.  Fat Grafting, when done by a skilled surgeon who regularly performs the procedure, can provide the most natural looking and feeling lips compared to other means.  If injected properly, the lips will achieve a smooth contour WITHOUT lumps or bumps.  The addition of Platelet Rich Plasma to the fat injected will help to improve the fat volume retention over time.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Over the 20 years I have been injecting I have seen so many patients who have had "permanent" injections and were unhappy with the results.  Filler such as Restylane and Juvederm are ideal since they last a long time and as your face changes with aging, the filler that looks good today in your lips may not be the filler that you should have 20 years from now.

Permanent may mean a permanent bad result

There are way too many bad things that can happen with 'permanent' lip augmentation procedures that I would strongly advise you to avoid them.  Remember that 'permanent' means 'permanent.' If you don't like it, you're stuck with it. In my opinion, the hyaluronic acid injectables like Juvederm and Restylane are the best products for lip augmentation and they can last up to a year. If you don't like your result, it will eventually go away or hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the product.  I see so many bad results from fat injections into the lips that I would advise against this procedure.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Permanent Lip Augmentation Not Recommended

There is no great permanent treatment for lip augmentation. Silicone has lead to disastrous results in the past and Gortex has a firm, unnatural feeling and changes the shape of the lip. Fat augmentation can be lumpy and is not a precise treatment. It also may not take because of the constant movement of the mouth and lips. Restylane and other hyaluronic acid fillers offer smooth, precise and predictable treatment. This is the best way to go as they offer a natural look and feel.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

No permanent option is a good option for lip.

don't get permanent filler or implant on your lips. you will regret sooner or later.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Is Lip augmentation via Fat grafting permanent?

Fat injections are used when the patient wants to use their own tissues. We get fat from the hip area (using liposuction), process it, and then inject it into the lip, which gives a very soft look. Some think the fat doesn't 'last' but this is not entirely accurate. When done properly, some of the fat is reabsorbed, but a significant percentage is retained permanently. Because of this, we tend to 'over inject' knowing that in three to four weeks the final result will be closer to what the patient wants.

However, the lip is an area where I don't see fat grafting as the first choice because the lip moves a lot and it interferes with the take of the graft--the graft will not survive as well in the lips as it does in other areas of the body. For this reason, I actually prefer synthetic fillers in the lip, or a lip lift'. Lip augmentation can be performed in a very short amount of time, while under local anesthesia or sedation.

The lips are an important feature of your facial appearance. Anybody who wants fuller lips is a candidate for this procedure. If a patient has a long upper lip, she might want to consider a lip lift (in conjunction with the lip augmentation) for an overall rejuvenation of the lip. See my video for more detailed information about lip augmentation vs lip lift and the web reference for more detailed information about the permanence of fat injections.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Fat grafting may last 6 months or longer but has problems

Fat grafting to the lips is not done much anymore by most physicians doing lip augmentations because the fat makes your lips look Donald Duck looking for 2 weeks and can resolve in 6 months and become uneven and bumpy for the $1500-2500 cost.

Lip implants have come a long way now and do great for permanent augmentation at 1500-2000 per lip and temporary fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm do nice for 3-9 months at 550 per syringe and usually require 1-2 syringes.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon