Plump Lips Without the Duck Bill Look

on CBS today was a dermatologist Dr. Colbert who created his own lip plumping technique he called Colbert Lips. Colbert outlines the vermillion border with hyaluronic acid injections of Restylane or Juvaderm. What technique do you think gives the most natural looking lips that don't get the duck bill appearance -- like you see all over the Housewives of Orange County!

Lip Lift is an alternative to Lip Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Some patients actually could benefit more from a lift lift instead of a lip augmentation. If the distance from the root (base) of your nose to the upper vermillion border (red part) of your lip is too long, any amount of filler WILL result in duck lips.

Another indication for a lip lift: If when you open you mouth slightly--and your upper teeth do not show--you are likely a candidate for a lip lift.

The lip lift procedure is a 1-2 hour procedure performed in my procedure room under local anesthesia.

Beautiful lips without looking like a duck

There's no way to describe "the" technique for lip augmentation. A good physician will look at the patient's anatomy, age, current state of volume, and the overall place the lips have in relationship to the rest of the face. Here are some things to think about to get a great result without looking like a duck:

1. Seek out the most experienced physician injector in your community.
  2. Discuss your goals throughly
  3. A really good physician will explain why s/he plans to place filler in a particular way so that you can understand the expected outcome and are on the same page with goals
  4. Be willing to be conservative; it's easier to add more after a few weeks than it is to remove it (although removing a hyaluronic acid filler is easy, just rather wasteful).

I want to have a lip augmentation but I am afraid of having fake looking lips. I just want them to have a better shape and a li

I love doing lip enhancement procedures as it can be done on my patients that are 20 or my patients that are 60 years old.  There is no one filler that is best for everyone, but that also means there are options to help everyone achieve their specific desired goals for their lips.

There is a full range of desires when it comes to lip augmentation. There is a full range of desires for lip augmentation.  Often when patients come in for the first time they are often worried of looking “overdone” or having the dreaded “duck lips.”  However just like a breast augmentation, if patients could change anything after their lip augmentation they wish they would have gone bigger! 

Lip augmentation is about giving patients the shape that they desire, not just big lips.  The art in lip augmentation in molding and shape the lips.  The perfect lip augmentation is about giving the lips a natural, sexy appearance.  Just making the lips bigger is not beautiful.  Enhancing the size while creating a shape makes the face look more youthful.  Lip augmentation can create a cupid’s bow and improve the overall shape of the lips without a “fake” or “overdone” appearance.

There are several options for patients that want a very natural appearance to their lips:

Restylane Refyne and Restylane Silk are both great products for patients that want a subtle augmentation to their lips.  The Refyne is a new product that last up to a year giving patients a lasting result.  These are great starter products as they will enhance your lips, but give you a very soft and natural appearance. 

Juvederm Ultra Plus and Restylane and the workhorse products for fillers as they have been around for years and patients tend to love them.  They last about a 6-months in the lips. 

Resylane Defyne and Juvederm Vollure both last about up to a year.  Both of these products will give patients a little more volume and fullness to their lips.  The Vollure and Defyne will also last up to a year giving patients a lasting-result the will love for their lip enhancements.

Lip enhancement can be done as a simple procedure in the office.  Patients come to the office have numbing cream applied to their lips.  I give them about 15 to 20 min to let the cream take affect and then the actual process of the lip injections takes about ten minutes. 

Patients can return to work or their daily life immediately after the simple office procedure is completed. 

Please consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon about your lip augmentation options.  

Natural looking lip augmentation

It is possible to have a natural looking result, but make sure you express your expectations with your experienced injector before your treatment.

When we perform injectable treatments, we strive to achieve the Golden Ratio for your facial measurements by using the golden mean callipers. It's all about proportionate improvement. Ask your injector if they apply a technique such as this one when performing your treatment.

Full, natural lips

We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane). It usually gives soft, kissable, natural results. Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer.  See a few injectors.  Ask to see their photos.

Fuller Natural Looking Lips

Hyaluronoic acid injections are great lip enhancing tools if the natural anatomy of the lip is respected. An experienced injector will evaluate the client's anatomy of the lip and minimize over plumping of the upper lip.Juvederm will give you fuller yet natural looking lips.

"Dr.D"

Lip Enhancement that Looks Natural

What Dr. Colbert is describing is conservative enhancement of the vermillion border; this concept is a good one but is not new, original, or revolutionary.  In fact, this concept is employed by many Facial Plastic Surgeons, Plastic Surgeons, and Dermatologists around the country.  I believe that hyaluronic acid injections (Restylane and Juvederm) are wonderful tools to enhance the appearance of the lips as long as the natural anatomy of the lip is respected. Lips should be more full centrally than laterally, and the lower lip should be more full than the upper.  Over-enhancement of the lips laterally leads to a transformed appearance we refer to as "Grouper Lips", which makes the patient look more like reef dwelling fish than a human.

Valentine angulaplasty

the procedure designed by Dr. Flowers, whom I was trained under, is a beautiful procedure for lip and mouth rejuvenation for natural looking lips. you can read more at my website 

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation, Fuller Lips, Beverly Hills Lip Augmentation, Beverly Hills Lip Enhancement

Ahh, that's the million dollar question...how to avoid the duck look or otherwise unattractive lips after Lip Augmentation.  This is not the problem of using any one filler or method of Lip Enhancement but rather a lack of knowledge of the proper aesthetics of the lips as outlined in my new book on the subject.  There's a perfect size and proportion to the lips that if acheived using Alloderm, Restylane or Juvederm, the lips are aesthetically attractive.  If this proportion is violated, the liops appear ducky, to large and often distorted.

You, as the consumer, should learn what does and does not constitute beauty when it comes to plastic and cosmetic surgery procedures and treatments, including Lip Augmentation as this is something not taught to doctors and surgeons during their training...and therefore not common knowledge.

Filler for no duck look

I didn't see the program on CBS, but it doesn't sound like anything new.  Most of us inject along the vermillion and in the lip itself.  The best way to keep from having a duck shape to the lip is not to over-inject.  I personally hate the super fake duck lip look and take great care to keep the lip looking full but natural looking.  If you have good communication with your doctor, he/she should be able to help create the look you are seeking.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.