Can incisions for a smart lipo revision be done on the previous incision sites to minimize the number of scars?

I am getting smart lipo revision. I will have my upper and lower back, flanks and possibly my lower abs re-done. I have 7 incisions from my 1st smart lipo (2 upper back, 2 on back hips, 2 near front hip bones, 1 in upper belly button. I am worried about having so many additional incision scars from the revision. (2 on bra line and two on front hips for the lower abs). Can the second incisions be done at the same sites? Can lower abs be lipoed with just an incision in lower belly button?

Smartlipo Revision.

Yes, we try to reuse incisions when redoing smartlipo liposuction.  However the reason you may need a revision may be due to the fact that not enough or the wrong incisions were made.  So while nobody likes incisions, your overall results are more important and new incisions may be necessary.

Cedar Park Family Physician

You can definitely use the same incision sites

there is no need to make new incisions, assuming the previous incisions were intelligently placed. 

i often like 2 small incisions on each side of the abdomen but this is often the surgeons choice.

you should do well with your redo Smartlipo

good luck

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Incisions for Smart Lipo

Absolutely previous incisions can be used.  However, different surgeons prefer different angles and sites, but if it's the same surgeon, they will likely use the same incisions.  Your surgeon should use as many incisions as needed to achieve the best result.  In my experience, those 2-3mm incisions will be almost invisible given enough time (at least a year).  The incisions will fade, but a sub-optimal result won't.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Yes, the previous incisions can be used for the revision. However, if your surgeon feels that he or she can;t get to a particular area without a new incision, then it should be small an inconspicuous. Good luck!

Incision sites

Yes your incisions can be made in current scar sites but they may be a bit more lengthy in appearance since the old scar will be removed. Less sites may need to be reopened depending upon your surgeon and your goals. Thoroughly discuss your concerns with your BCPS. Good luck. DrBurnett#realself100

Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- Alternative is VANQISH, Sculpsure, Coolsculpting

IF you are looking for revision procedure I would consider VASER 4D Contouring as this makes better improvement in skin tightening and contouring and gets through scar tissue much better.  Dr. Emer.

Can incisions for a smart lipo revision be done on the previous incision sites

Thank you for your question. Certainly previous site incisions can be used again. It also depending on the access to the areas suctioned. Please talk to your PS before the surgery.

Typically, the old scars can be used again for revision.  If there are specific areas that need to be accessed that can't be reached with the old scars, some new scars may need to be placed.  Typically, these are very small incisions and tend to heal well.

Naveen Setty, MD

Can incisions for a smart lipo revision be done on the previous incision sites to minimize the number of scars

Thank you for your question.  Usually old scars are used for liposuctions revisions.  Make sure you communicate with your surgeon where your scars will be placed.  Best Wishes!

Your smart lipo incisions can be reused for a revision

Your old scars can certainly be reused for a lipo revision. However, if they weren't placed in ideal locations at the first surgery, your surgeon might have to add 1 or more new incisions to get the job done properly.