Why didn't smart lipo work? (Photo)

I had smart lipo on my upper and lower abdominal and my front sides in July it's going to be September and I look exactly the same. I even did a detox after and changed my diet and drank loads of water and still no change. I'm beyond frustrated that this didn't work since I paid so much. I want to know should I go back to the same doctor and attempt to have it redone? Should I get a adominalplasty or just give up?

Smart Lipo Abdomen

The abdomen is the area of the body with most factors determining a satisfactory result. There is subcutaneous fat between the skin and muscle that Smart Lipo targets and removes. But there is also visceral fat which lies beneath the muscle, mixed with your organs. This can only hope to improve with a low-carb diet (with usual weight loss). There is also the issue of abdominal muscle laxity from obesity or pregnancy and of course, skin issues. If the Smart Lipo procedure was done thoroughly, you may be dealing with a combination of visceral fat and muscle laxity. Diet/weight loss and an abdominoplasty may be needed for your desired result.

Overland Park Family Physician

Smartlipo not working.

It is important to know going into smartlipo that it is not a weight loss procedure nor a guarantee against future weight gain.  Typically our patients will lose more than 5 pounds after smartlipo.  If your weight is the same or even a few pounds more, you probably gained a significant amount of weight.  Post liposuction weight gain can erase any smartlipo results.  I would return to my surgeon and compare my weights before and after the procedure.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

SmartLipo

Thanks for your question and photos. It’s difficult to tell you it has failed because you only provided an after photo but full results from SmartLipo may take up to 6 months. At the time of your consultation, your doctor determines whether you are a candidate or not. If you have not seen any improvement, it’s not that SmartLipo failed but perhaps not the right procedure for you. Please visit your doctor for an alternative. Hope this helps. Best Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting with Tummy Tuck

Unfortunately you were not a candidate for smartlipo alone, you are a candidate for liposuction with a tummy tuck but if you lost 20-30 pounds first you would would obtain the best outcome.  Please see an expert.  Dr. Emer.

Full tummy tuck

If there are stretch marks and loose skin, or separation of the underlying muscles that are causing the problem, a tummy tuck would be a better option. See a board certified plastic with an expertise in body contouring in your area for a detailed consultation. They should be able to answer your concerns more specifically. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, MD
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Smart lipo didn't work because you needed a tummy tuck and didn't get one

You are a poster child for tummy tuck. Every tummy tuck "before" photo you've ever seen looks alot like you for good reason. Your belly is completely stretched out from loosening of your abdominal muscles (called a diastasis). The fat that was smart lipo'd out was simply sitting on top of this pot belly and was not the cause of it. Your surgeon should have told you this beforehand. You also have some fat inside of your belly around your internal organs called visceral fat. The best advice for you is to lose 20 lbs to reduce the visceral fat, then a tummy tuck.