I have a gap between my two front teeth and I have an overbite (Photo)

would Invisalign or braces be better, roughly how much would it be, would my bottom teeth need anything

Doctor Answers 3

Gap Plus Overbite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your photos show us part of the picture. To give you a definitive answer we need more info.That said, we will give you some ideas.You have a deep overbite which has caused your gap, or at least will not allow closure of it orthodonticallywithout first treating the overbite. Thus, you need to also treat the lowers. Braces or Invisalign can be used.With the orthodontic treatment, the gap very likely will be closed. Deep overbites can lead to breathing problems when sleeping as we age, so treating the overbite now solves  multiple problems now and in the future.If only closing the gap is your main concern now, see a qualified cosmetic dentist to do some bonding on yourfront teeth.

La Jolla Dentist


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You could do either conventional braces or Invisalign. Both techniques could be used to close the gap, align your teeth and help your overbite. You should go visit an experienced orthodontist or dentist who has good experience with Invisalign or conventional braces and get an opinion for time and cost. I hope this is helpful.
Douglas Jopling,  DDS Dallas Texas area

Bite problem between upper and lower teeth are not independent of each other

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

generally speaking, bite problem is like a puzzle. The problem you see on top teeth is a reflection of another problem on the bottom teeth. In your case, the gap in the top teeth allowed the lower teeth to over-erupt with time. To close the gap without causing premature contact with the bottom teeth, it is best to move the bottom teeth down first to create the necessary space for gap closure. Again, each bite problem is unique like a puzzle and initial proper diagnosis is key. 

Chia-Hung Lin, DDS
New York Orthodontist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.