How much pain is acceptable for Tumescent Liposuction?

I had a tumescent liposuction procedure, which was intended to cover upper abdominal, love handles, bra back and side rolls, and hip 5 areas. It was so horrendously painful [8 on a 10 pt scale], that we had to stop, after 3 only areas. I was given one Xanax prior, and then another midway. I was told there would be some discomfort, but I felt every thrust. I did notice that the Dr. credential is PA-C Liposculpture Specialis. I want to be fair, but I am not sure what that would be. Your thoughts?

If you are properly tumesced, and allowed time for the anesthesia to take effect, then usually the treatment is pleasant to very tolerable. There is some initial discomfort pinching sensation during the initial numbing process. A few people can be difficult to numb, but usually have discovered that in the dentist's office. For those people, general anesthesia or IV sedation is best. It is possible that not enough Lidocaine was used for each area, or not enough time was given to allow it to numb. Only a certain amount of Lidocaine can be used at one time based on your weight. Your doctor might have tried to use a lower concentration to accommodate all those areas at one time. With a lower concentration, you may not be adequately numb. I would have split those areas into two sessions to make sure you were adequately numbed.  I would also suggest going to a board certified plastic surgeon who has done awake liposuction for a while. Not all plastic surgeons do awake liposuction.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is becoming one of these procedures that is a business.

They are popping up like "Doc in the box" doing only liposuction under local anesthesia and thus they do not have to be accredited, or follow the surgical standards. Thus they supposedly cheaper, but as noted, they will charge for upper abdomen, lower abdomen (Abdomen is one unit)

The cheapest is not necessarily the best and the most experienced.

The number one aim should be patient safety, providing the best medical care in the specialty of the training.