Recliner needed???

My mommy makeover is in 2 weeks! I have a really high bed, should I rent a recliner? If so, which one (remote)? And for how long?

Mommy make-over - recliner?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • A recliner will probably help make your recovery easier.
  • A one week rental with an option to extend if you want to should be all you need.
  • Yes, a remote control would make your life easier too.
  • I also suggest my mommy make-over patient rent a walker because it will make it much easier to get around after surgery. Hope all goes well - enjoy your result!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover

You do not need to purchase a recliner.  Yes, it would be helpful, but a little step by your bed will work well.  Also, use wedge pillows for your legs and back to give you a recliner feel. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Postop Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question.  If you don't already have a recliner, you do not need to rent or buy one.  I would recommend a small step to help you get into your bed.  For the first few days to one week, you should prop up your back and shoulder with pillows as well as place pillows under your knees to keep your hips in the flexed position relieving tension from the tummy tuck closure.  As the skin and tissue relaxes over the first week, you can slowly remove the pillows until you are comfortably laying flat.  Hope this helps!  But as always, defer to the recommendations of your specific surgeon.

Dr Derby

The easiest to help you get into bed is just a little step to make the difference between the floor and the bed a bit smaller. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

A comfortable place to recover after mommy makeover

If you have a really high bed (for example, a mattress on top of a boxspring), it is important to plan ahead for your recovery, as you will be less agile and mobile at first.  A recliner is a great option for many patients after their mommy makeover, although it may not be necessary to go out and rent one.  Many patients use a stepstool so they can get in and out of their beds, or relocate temporarily to the couch for the first few days.  Having an assortment of pillows handy is also nice for propping and positioning yourself after surgery.
Hope this helps, and best of luck with your surgery and recovery,Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Recliner post MM

Very seldom do patients require rental of a recliner post this procedure. Many patients opt for bed step stools. If you wish to be safer, 4 weeks should be sufficient for rental of a recliner chair. Best wishes for your quick recovery.

Mehdi Balakhani, MD, FACS
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover recovery

While a recliner may be helpful, you don't have to have one.  You can use a step to help you get into your bed.  Make sure that you have many pillows available to help prop you for your comfort.  Keeping your knees somewhat bent and your body in a semi-reclined position is most comfortable in the beginning.  Good luck!

Camille Cash, MD