Why do doctors recommended using minoxidil (5%) for 6 months for newly transplanted hair?

Why after hair transplant maximum doctors recommended minoxidil (5%) using for 6 months for newly transplanted hair ? If any one can stop using minoxidil after 6 months then all newly transplanted hair will be gone? So my question is that after hair transplant , minoxidil using is necessary for whole life?

Minoxidil after hair transplants.

Minoxidil after hair transplants is used by some surgeons. Over 35 years of doing grafting I have seen no proof that there is a benefit and can cause hair loss in the raining hair when stopped. 

Minoxidil and hair transplant

Not a lot of science exists here but in general it is thought to minimize the shock to your existing hairs and speed the growth of your newly transplanted hairs.  The medicine should not make or break your hair transplant results though. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

The use of minoxidil after a hair transplant

This makes no sense as the grafted hair will NOT be sensitve to minoxidil for growth purposes. Maybe your doctor is insecure with his procedure/

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

I recommend Monoxidil more for maintenance of the current non-grafted hair.  It does help with crown balding so I think it is useful to use.  However the effects go away if stopped.  So I recommend using it for life. 

Adam Saad, MD
Atlantic City Plastic Surgeon

Many hair surgeons believe that the transplanted hair may grow in faster with minoxidil therapy. However, if it stimulates balding nontransplanted hairs to griw better, that effect would be lost when the minoxidil is discontinued. Neither of these statemens has been scientifically prooved. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minoxidil after transplant

Minoxidil is not necessary post transplant but helps the grafts come in sooner. 

Instead of seeing your results start around 4 months you might see it at 2.5 or 3 months. 

It is not "necessary" to use minoxidil. However, your surgeon may eant you to use for a few reasons:

1. For women, less chance of shock loss

2. For men and women, more likely that some existing hair might thicken up a tiny bit and some dormant follicles might start growing. The hope is you might look a bit better than if you didn't use minoxidil. 

The transplanted hairs are permanent and you dont need to keep using minoxidil to keep them growing. However to keep the existing hair growing, minoxidil does help!

Stem cells are one of the most popular topics in the science area and it is a well-known fact that the life was built on the shoulders of these cells. Stem cells are used in treatment of many diseases today. Aesthetic plastic surgery is another area that stem cells are used for their advantages. Stem cells are obtained from the own adipose tissue of the patient. It can be stated that stem cells transferred to another place in the body yields rejuvenating, refreshing and repairing effects on the tissue. “Organic Hair Transplantation” method uses the advantages of the stem cells at the maximum level.

Post op products

Actually it is wise to use minoxidil indefinitely to slow down the loss of your native hair.  Therefore continue using it and you will benefit in the Long run.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Not all doctors recommend topical minoxidil after hair transplant surgery.

Not all doctors recommend topical minoxidil after hair transplant surgery.  If your doctor recommends it, then you should follow your doctor's advice.  If you do use it, and you get great results you need to continue using it to maintain the results.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon