Can a plastic surgeon fix a hernia if one is found during a tummy tuck procedure?

Can a plastic surgeon fix a hernia?

YES, a plastic surgeon can fix a hernia.  Most of us did a general surgery residency before entering our plastic surgery fellowship training, so we are very well qualified to fix a hernia.

Tummy tuck with hernia repair

Thank you for your question. Yes, a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can fix a hernia during a tummy tuck procedure. Good Luck!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Tummy tuck with hernia repair

Yes, it is quite common for patients to have a tummy tuck with a hernia repair. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Incidental hernia during TT

In the more heavy-set patient, a small hernia might not be diagnosed prior to abdominoplasty, but well-trained, board-certified plastic surgeons fix these routinely. It is my policy not to charge anything extra when I so this!

Ronald J. Johnson, MD, FACS
Germantown Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty: Information

Dear Ms. Krista,

Thank you for your story and questions. Unfortunately with out photos and a exam of your tissues I can can only comment based your story, however I hope you find my comments helpful.

Some Plastic Surgeons have completed a General Surgery Residency as well as a Plastic Surgery Residency and can repair the hernia and diastasis together.

I suggest you make several consultative appointments with different experienced Plastic Surgeons who are qualified to repair abdominal hernias and who are Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who are ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Hernia repair with abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Yes, typically a hernia repair can be performed at the time of an abdominoplasty.  It is always best to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Abdominoplasty

Yes, Plastic surgeons quite often fix small umbilical and ventral hernia is at the time of abdominoplasty. If it is large enough to require a general surgeon, that is something that your surgeon should be able to discover at the preoperative visit.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hernias at the time of tummy tuck

Hopefully, your plastic surgeon, during your preoperative consultation, would have found a very large hernia on exam. Sometimes, we will involve the help of a general surgeon if it's a true hernia with a hernia sac that needs to be reduced back into the abdomen. Most times, we find small incidental hernias mostly around the belly button that can easily be repaired with sutures at the time of your tummy tuck. Good luck with your anticipated surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Umbilical Hernia Repair during a Tummy Tuck

When a Belly Button becomes an "outie" during a pregnancy one can assume that a umbilical hernia is present. We always fix those without additional charge during a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty).

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repair during TT

It is common to find umbilical hernias and they are repaired during the tummy tuck. For plastic surgeons who first trained in general surgery as a pathway (the norm for my generation), this is standard operating procedure and I do not see the need for a general surgeon's involvement.