Knots Under my Incision Scar

I recently had a TT, I have been healing very well, but in the beginning of this week I noticed 2 small knots under my scar, one on the left and one on the right, I have been massaging them regularly (dont know if that helps) and they seem to be going away, when I touch the one on the right it does not hurt but it seems there is a line leading away from it that hurts a little (used to feel that pain in the first 6 weeks of healing. Sorry I dont have a pic, its not visible just by looking.

Knots after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Occasional painful sensations and palpable textural irregularities are common occurrences during the healing process after tummy tuck, and generally not great cause for concern.  The lumps you're feeling may be exactly what you call them - knots, from the dissolvable suture material used to close your incision, and possible your body's reaction to their presence.  If massage seems to be helping, by all means continue.  If you notice any knots or suture material protruding through the incision itself, let your plastic surgeon know, so that they may be removed without causing any further problems.

Knots after tummy tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Inflammatory Nodules May Develop with Absorbable Sutures Following Tummy Tuck

Its not unusual for abdominoplasty incisions to be closed with a series of absorbable sutures.  These sutures typically resorb in 3-6 months following surgery.  During this process inflammatory nodules can occasionally develop which are sometimes tender.

These nodules typically respond to massage and often dissolve with the passage of time.  It’s important to discuss this issue with your surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to address this problem and reassure you.

Knots may be sutures

Knots that you are feeling in your stomach area after a tummy tuck may be knots from sutures underneath the skin.  Usually they dissolve with time.  But if they do not, then you may need to have them surgically removed.  Knots can also be caused by scar tissue.  In your case, that is a good possibility because you are able to get them smaller by massaging.  Unless the skin opens up over the knots or there is severe pain, they are probably nothing to worry about.

Knots may be sutures

Suture knots!

Hi Gurlurpriecless, The knots you are feeling are indeed probably knots! The dissolvable sutures we use to close your tummy tuck incision are tied off in knots on the ends and these are the last part of the suture to dissolve. Sometimes they don't dissolve completely on their own and can be removed by your surgeon. Also, if they appear very close to breaking through the skin and are irritated, we just remove them. These are all reasons to keep going to your scheduled follow up visits with your surgeon and letting them know of any issues you are experiencing. 

Suture knots!

Knots under incision

Dissolvable sutures are often used under the skin in tummy tucks. The knots are the last part of the suture to dissolve. Massage will often help speed up the dissolving process but occasionally scar tissue can form around the knot and leave a thickened lump that does not go away. Frequent follow up visits with your surgeon are always recommended. Good luck! 

Knots under incision

Knots Under The Incision Scars

The knots are the deep sutures healing and it is normal to feel them. The incisions will heal for several weeks to months. You may even experience some coming out of the skin from time to time, which is also normal. In a year your scars will heal and look great. I hope this has helped.

Knots Under The Incision Scars

Scar Knots

Sutures used to close tummy tuck incision are typically all below the surface of the skin and absorbable.  It can take several months for the sutures to absorb.  Before they do, your body may try to expel them out through the incision.  Return to your surgeon if any of these sites are problematic.

Scar Knots

Knots under scar from an abdominoplasty

Marginal necrosis at the wound edge especially in the midline is not unusual following an abdominoplasty. With conservative management it will get better. Your plastic surgeon will help you get this area healed.

Knots under scar from an abdominoplasty

Tummy tuck

Scars will be pink, firm and bumpy for 3-4 months.  In most cases they will start to fade, soften and flatten out over the next 3-6 months.  If the scar starts to raise up like a keloid try topical silicone.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Tummy tuck

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Palpable bumps in incisions commonly are sutures

It is very common that patients have palpable bumps under their incisions following tummy tucks. Most commonly, what the patients are feeling is the suture material (knots) under the skin. Even absorbable sutures take three months to absorb...so be patient.