What evidence do I need to sue after bone graft went wrong?

last time during the procedure of pulling my teeth out and put the bone graft in. after he pulled my front teeth out, he checked my bone graft. I heard he said to the other doctor that I had enough bone graft, so now I knew that he didn't put enough bone graft for me. that's why my bone graft were disappeared so soon ( just seven months). I' m so mad because I have to pay him money again for the second time. He said it was my fault not his fault.

Bone graft, law suite, resurption

Dear khanhly:
I can understand that you are very upset that your bone graft procedure might not have turned out as successful as you were hoping.
However, any grafting procedures, especially bone, and especially in the anterior (front) area are subject to major resurption.  Most grats loose up to 50% of bone grafted.  Many times, when the deficits are large, multiple procedures are necessary to obtain a satisfactory result.  It actually sounds as if what happened to you is within normal limits.
Rather than focusing on a law suit, I would advise you to go and see a specialist: a Prosthodontist, Periodontist, or an Oral Surgeon and see what needs to be done to get your situation fixed.  Isn't that the real goal?  To answer your question about a law suit, you should see an attorney.  However, law suits are costly, time consuming and benefit only the lawyers.  
Best advise that anyone can give you is to go and get your teeth fixed.

Bone grafting is not definitive treatment in all cases.

The extraction of a tooth and placement of a bone graft is not the same as patching a hole in a plaster wall.  The bone graft is temporarily in place as a scaffold for new bone to grow on.  It is completely replaced by the new bone in most cases.  (some grafts are non-resorbable but that is usually not the best material for future implants).

There are many factors that can influence success of bone grafting including how much bone is present before the grafting is done, how well patients follow post op instructions, the general health of patients, smokers, diabetics aand patients with osteopenia are more likely to have poor results.

The use of membranes increase success rates but infection decreases success.  Frequently the use of a collagen sponge (cola-plug) can work better than grafting in new extraction sites. 

Too much graft in a site can actually lead to poor results because of inadequate wound closure.  Instead of talking about suing you may want to discuss what can be done to insure better results and why your doctor thinks your graft failed, if it failed or if you just did not grow enough bone for implant placement.

In todays world of implant dentistry cosmetics are very important and for ideal esthetics we frequently need more bone for smile line than we do to merely place implant.

Bone Graft Reabsorption

Bone Grafting procedures are always subject of Reabsoption, It depends on each individual, its not considerated as  malpractice. Depending the area and location of your gone graft it can reabsorb from 40 to 80% Thats completely normal, not only on Oral surgery, in any other part of the body, usually on spine on orthopedic surgery its used this too with tricalcium fosfate as neogenesis inductor, and suffers from the same problems. The human body turns to reabsorb part or all the bone graft placed.

You can search on google a lot of documents and wide information about the bone graft procedures and how it works.

Jose Alonso, MD, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist