How long after Restylane Silk for vertical lip lines does it take for bruising to go away?

I've got one area of bruising on my upper lip after Restylane Silk injection for vertical lines. The injections were 4 days ago. I'm worried because it appeared the next day after running 8 miles. I was told it was okay to exercise the next day. No pain or swelling. THANK YOU

Bruising post filler injections

Bruising after any injectable can last anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks. In our practice we typically use one of our several lasers, pulsed dye or  IPL which helps to diminish bruising. We reccomend our patients take  Arnika and we use Microcannulaswhen we can to help prevent bruising. Best regards, Dr. P

Avoidance And Treatment Of Bruising After Injection Of Restylane Silk Into "Smokers' Lines"

Treatment of superficial perioral rhytids with restylane silk can frequently result in post procedure bruising.  In our practice, to reduce the likelihood of this occurring, we counsel patients to discontinue aspirin, non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, fish oils, as well as any nutritional supplements of unknown provenance that might increase the risk of bleeding. 

It can also be helpful to start taking arnica montana and bromolein several days prior to such a treatment.  Pre-injection of the area to be treated with lidocaine with epinephrine, as well as use of a fine tip blunt cannula, rather than a needle, in performing the injections can also reduce the incidence and severity of bruising.  

If bruising does occur, apply direct pressure immediately to those areas and try to hold this for 30 minutes.  Also, be sure to keep these bruised areas out of direct sunlight for at least two weeks after the treatment.  The good news is that such bruising nearly always resolves, usually completely.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Bruising after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. The bruising should resolve in 2-4 weeks, depending on size, extent, etc. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising will go away

Dermal fillers, particularly those that treat superficial wrinkles can certainly cause bruising.  If it’s only several days after the procedure it is not unusual.  And, bruising can take up to a month to completely go away. But, usually it will completely go away and have a nice result.  Keep in mind that it is important not to get sunlight on the bruised area.  Always use a sun block and do not tan over a bruise.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruising Post Filler Injection

Hi,

Bruising post Restylane Silk injections usually lasts 5 to 10 days. There is no contraindication for exercising the following day. Any blood thinners/supplements such as aspirin or fish oils taken prior to injections can contribute to bruising. Make up is safe to apply for camouflaging in the meantime. In the future, ice prior to treatment, microcannula treatment, or post-treatment care with Ocumend gel pads are some options to lessen bruising. The good thing is bruising is normal and temporary.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Bruising following injection, surgery, injury.

Dear LSpykerOles:Bruising following any surgery, injection or injury is similarly broken down and carried away by the immune system. Bruised areas with more blood supply like the face may go away a bit quicker. Larger areas of bruising maybe a bit slower but generally 10 to 21 days. Essential fatty acids, glucosamine-chondroitin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) definitely increase the chance of bruising.Some options to help include:
  • warm compresses and massage
  • fresh pineapple for the bromelain enzyme contained within
  • maybe arnica montana
Good luck!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Bruising.

Thank you for your question. Bruising from fillers can take up to two weeks to completely resolve and is something that can happen after injections. There are things you can use to help quicken this process, such as arnica. At our office we also offer complimentary Vbeam laser treatment to bruises to help the bruise resolve faster. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

How long after Restylane Silk for vertical lip lines does it take for bruising to go away

Hi there, bruising varies from one person to another. I would not have had you run eight miles the day after you had the filler. I would strongly recommend that you go back to your board certified dermatologist who injected you and make sure that this is only bruising and nothing more serious. Perhaps, they can laser you with the V-beam to improve the bruising if that is what it is. Go immediately. 
Good luck,Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Bruising After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane Especially Around The Lips

Bruising after Restylane Silk is normal for up to 10-14 days. If, after that time, the bruising persists, you can see your injector to be evaluated. Lasers like pulsed dye and IPL can be used to remove bruises.  Arnika and cannulas help in the future to prevent bruising. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Bruising after Restylane Silk

This can last up to 2 weeks without treatment. I treat bruises complimentary in the office with the Excel V laser which makes the duration only a few days. Taking arnica can help as well. Many people are on blood thinning supplements which need to be stopped about a week before treatment including the obvious ibuprofen and aspirin.

Steven F. Weiner, MD