Enlarged & Rounded Mons Pubis After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I have never had a large pubic area but ever since my full TT with Lipo & MR it is very large and rounded. My incision is very low and am not sure if this makes a difference. I just don't know when enough time has gone by to warrant an appointment with my Dr. to insist a closer look. He has seen it several times and has told me the swelling in that area is the last to go down. But it is so bad I cannot wear any form fitting pants/dress etc. I am 3.5 months post op and I never had a large pubic area pre op. I guess I would be less concerned if it wasn't so clearly rounded. My natural mons is below the incision but the rounding starts above - as shown in photo. The only change is that the area is no longer bruised. Also, at one point a few weeks after surgery there was a hard ball shape under the skin of my mons that seems to have resolved itself.

Fullness should resolve

Thanks for your ? and pic. It looks like a variation of normal. Sometimes this frustrating fullness can take a full year to improve. Liposuction is an option, but give it plenty of time. There is a lot of disruption of lymphatics that drains this area and the result is congestion. Lymphatic massage can be helpful. You might ask your PS if there is someone they recommend. Best of Luck!

Large Mons Pubis After Tummy Tuck

In many cases after a tummy tuck a full mons pubis is revealed once the abdominal overhang is removed. That can be dealt with secondarily and very successfully by a liposuction procedure. It is also possible that this a retained fluid collection or a seroma pocket but that would be evident by a physical examination.

Sources of lower abdominal roundness after tummy tuck

Thank you for the question and the photo.  If it is early after your tummy tuck the fullness can be a result of seroma, swelling, or abdominal wall looseness.  Later on in your recovery one has to also consider pseudo-bursa.  An examination and a careful analysis of your recovery can usually deduce what the source of the fullness is.  When the data is unclear a CT scan may be helpful.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Swelling in the Mons may persist for months after abdominoplasty.

Often times the Mons becomes an issue when it is no longer obscured by the abdominal drape. After swelling has subsided if it's too large liposuction can be performed under local anesthesia.

Hi. From the one view it looks like an excellent result. Your ps is correct. This area takes the longest to go down. Having said that, from my experience (23yrs), this area sometimes remains mildly puffy permanently. Touch up suctioning can improve this at a time when it is deemed to be stable. Typically 1 year.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Enlarged Mons

HI aNewMe.  I agree with your plastic surgeon.  Fluid tends to pool in the more dependent places after surgery, regardless of the location of the incision.   In order to answer your question it would be helpful to know how long ago you had your surgery, and your mons has started to shrink yet.  Sometimes people have a full mons, but don't realize it because they are focused on their abdomen.  After the abdominoplasty, the previously unnoticed mons becomes much more apparent.  I have seem this with the lateral thighs too.  If your surgery was recently performed, then the swelling will probably go down.  If you are concerned, then I suggest you call your plastic surgeon. 

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Enlarged & Rounded Mons Pubis After Tummy Tuck?

Not knowing how much time has passed since surgery, I can't tell you if this is likely swelling that will resolve.  If it is a month, this is a likely outcome. If six months, less likely.

Without photos from before surgery, it is hard to comment further. But I can say that any questions you have about your surgery are appropriate to ask to your surgeon at any time. Best wishes. 

Enlarged Mons

This area is commonly enlarged post surgery, especially of liposuction was also used tin that region. It will resolve gradually. Lymphatic massage and occasionally US therapy helps.

M. Dalvi Humzah, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Pubic fullness after tummy tuck

If this is a seroma it's pretty large. It should be easy enough for your surgeon to determine that by examining the area for the "fluid quality" typical of a seroma. These may need to be treated by aspiration with a needle. Since he reassured you that it's swelling, it's appropriate to give it time since the lowest area closest to the center is definitely the area that is swollen the longest. This could also be fat and that is easy enough to improve with liposuction after giving your recovery enough time to let most of the swelling subside, at least 6 months. 

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Mons pubis swelling after tummy tuck

It is true that the swelling in the mons pubis area is the last part to go down following tummy tuck, and the swelling here lasts even longer when liposuction is done at the same time. Whether or not this will still go down depends how long it has been from the time of surgery. Often patients do not notice mons fullness since the tummy hangs over it or is in the way of viewing it from above, but no additional tissue is put there during a tummy tuck or liposuction. The most common reasons for a large mons after surgery is a large mons before surgery, and normal postoperative swelling. If you have concerns, that is the time to make an appointment with your surgeon, even if it is just for reassurance that the healing is progressing normally.

Anita Patel, MD