Anyone dealt with breast fat transfer patients who felt like the operation caused an autoimmune response in them?

I previously had autoimmune conditions that are now in remission. I believe they were caused by my silicone implants. I want to do fat transfer to breasts, but im worried that doing another superficial surgery could promise my long term health again. i am willing to risk the other complications. Everyone says implants are safe over and over again, and yet so many women suffer from them until they explant, so I question this procedure too. I wouldn't even consider it, but I have 0 breast tissue

Fat transfer breast augmentation risks

Risks described by the American Society of Plastic Sugery for Fat transfer breast augmentation include the followings:

Fat transfer breast augmentation risks include: (link below)
  • Cysts
  • Infection
  • Microcalcification
  • Necrosis (death) of fat cells
  • Possibility that some of the transferred fat cells will leave the breast area
Regular internet searches can give you all kinds of anecdotal or worse, inaccurate information.  Pubmed is an excellent source to review new articles and literature in medicine.  You can be your own judge of its safety.   Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

Autoimmune

The literature does not show that breast implants caused any autoimmune response. However, surgery is stress and any stress may trigger or aggravate an autoimmune response. Fat transfer is using your own tissue which appears to be very safe. Not all fat survives, and the amount transferred is usually between half to one cup size depending upon how much fat you have to transfer, how well the fat survived, and the amount of initial breast tissue you have. Women with very little breast tissue cannot support much fat. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your concerns.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Surgery Risks

The surest way to assure no risks and unforeseen complications is not to have any surgery.
Since these surgeries are elective why do it and worry about the complications

Fat transfer for breasts.

Since it is your own tissue it will not be recognized as foreign and thus it will not have any impact on your immune system. 
There are unanswered questions in regard to stimulation of adjacent tumor cells that may be nearby and unknown but so far , after 15 years of clinical experience beginning in Italy this does not seem to be an issue. 
In regard to your silicone issue. The Mayo clinic study proved in a large series of patients that there is no association between silicone and autoimmune disease that is clinically significant. Young white females tend to get implants and young white females tend to get autoimmune disease thus the association seems relevant at first but did not pan out. While no one can prove that it never happens , it has been shown it is not clinically significant. The reason so many old silicone gel implants are expanted is not due to autoimmune disease but due to deterioration of the shell over time and secondary issues related to this like capsular contracture or extra capsular silicone. 
Most patients who had issues with gel plants, even those with autoimmune disease , did just fine with saline implants even though the shells are silicone. 
Fat is an alternative but it has it's own set of issues such as fat necrosis, absorption, and that noted above. It is also more time consuming and expensive. 
I wish you all the best. 

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon