What to Expect from Swelling After Juvederm for Lips?

I am booked to get Juvederm filler in my lips. My doctor says she will use a topical freezing then use juvederm with lidocaine in it. She says that I will see the results of the filler instantly so can adjust as needed. Will my lips look red and swollen after the procedure? If so, for how long? Can I go to work that day or will people wonder what happened to me?

Swelling after Juvederm

My experience, based on ten years injecting various fillers, is that with Restylane, you get most of your swelling within hours of injection-often before you've left the office. Then over the next three days or so, it settles down. If a woman has Restylane injected into her lips such that she leaves the office completely satisfied, within three days she'll feel there has been significant loss of volume. If however, she leaves and tells me she feels there is too much, then 3-4 days later it is just about right. Restylane reliably lasts 6 months in most people before it begins to regress.

On the other hand, with Juvederm, the swelling doesn't occur immediately but over the next day or two. It is slower in onset but within the first week has settled to where it will remain for the next 6-12 months. I feel Juvederm lasts as long or longer than Restylane. Typically my Juvederm patients get results that last between 6-12 months.

In my patients who are really concerned, I offer to intentionally undercorrect them and store the remainder of product in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks then use the remaining product to touch them up. I also have moved from injecting the border of the lip to the part where the lipstick is applied. I feel it gives a more natural result and the needle marks can be camouflaged until they heal with lipstick. By doing this, I've had patients literally go from my office to TV interviews without anyone knowing they had a recent treatment.

Swelling in lips after Juvederm

There tends to be swelling and even a little bruising after injection of hyaluronic acid based fillers such as Juvederm. Besides just from trauma to the tissue, hyaluronic acid pulls water into the where it is injected leading to swelling. The lips are prone to swell a little more than other areas, so it would not be uncommon to have some temporary swelling and perhaps bruising given how vascular the area is. It may not be a bad idea to take the remainder of the day off from work if you don't want it to be conspicious. For most people swelling subsides after a couple of days, but everyone is different and i have seen swelling last longer.

Good luck!

Ritu Saini, MD

Swelling after Juvederm in the lips

Different providers inject lips differently, and the different techniques can affect the swelling. You might swell much more than the average patient, and that can be unique to you, or it might be unique to this one treatment and then when you have it done again, you might react differently. I do see women who notice more bruising and pain related to their menstrual cycle when they undergo fillers. Most patients would rather have their lips injected at the end of their day rather than risk going bruised or swollen to the office. Some rare patients have an exagerated swelling that is very large and lasts a few days, but this is very uncommon. Most swell a little through the day, and use ice on and off, immediately after the injections and through the day can help. Avoid blood thinners before the procedure, such as aspirin (if possible) and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and Alleve, etc. Some avoid fish oils and vitamin E and Garlic, Ginko and Ginseng which all might cause more bruising, and some take Arnica and or Bromelain herbal remedies to minimize the swelling, and may even take it starting a day before the procedure. There is very sparse medical literature on the effectiveness of these items but many people take it.

Most patients find they're ok the next day, but rarely some will look more obvious for a day or two longer.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm lip swelling.

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day.  This is due to all the swelling that ensues. It may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that.  If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture.  This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.

Lip Fillers and what to expect.

Firstly, every patient is unique, and every session is unique. The swelling after fillers to the lips is really instantaneous, and is usually maximal in the hours after having the procedure. If you ice the area immediately after a session, and ice on and off at home this will definitely help to reduce and minimize swelling. The swelling typically goes down significantly within 2-3 days. A good tip is to avoid lip gloss in the days following a filler session for the lips, using lip gloss tends to accentuate the lips and gives the illusion of them being larger. Use a matte lip stick, or lip balm for the next 2 days.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Side Effects of Juvederm

Most swelling resolves in about three to five days, but it can last up to two weeks. Bruising will also go away in this time. You should refrain from drinking alcohol, smoking, performing vigorous physical activity or extreme temperatures to help facilitate your recovery. You can also sleep with your head slightly elevated and use a pack of frozen peas, placed on your lips for 15 minute stretches 3-4 times a day.

Swelling after Juvederm for lips

Swelling allways occurs after injection of Juvederm anywhere, including the lips.

Juvederm, as all Hyaluronic acid fillers, will absorb water after injection and this will result in swelling, which can last 1 to 3 days.

Using ice packs immediately after injection may diminish the amount of swelling (and bruising). Also, using ice packs for 10 minutes, every 2 hours after injection, may also help.

Arnica applications may also help through its antiinflammatory effect.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

May swell with Juvederm

Any time you poke the skin with needles, you are at a risk for swelling-- particularly in the lips which are highly vascular. That being said, Juvederm does not tend to cause a significant amount of lip edema. If you are concerned, plan it for a time when you can lay low for a couple of days. Ice post-procedure will help quite a bit.

Dr. Rupani

Reena Rupani, MD

Swelling after Juvederm in Lips

The lips are a little more sensitive than most other areas. So a couple of precautions would be Arnica prior to your injection and using some ice after your injection. You will see immediate results but will also have some swelling. Recommend not going back to work that same day but should be fine the following day.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Recovery with Juvederm augmentation of the Lips

Juvederm is a great way to plump and shape the lips but it is not exactly a risk free procedure. The vast majority of women do it at the end of the day so they do not have to return to the office that day but most can go to the office the next morning without problems. A great reduction in swelling can be achieved by avoiding drugs and supplements that thin your blood and by taking Celebrex (a Cox 2 anti-inflammatory agent which does not promote bleeding) the day of the procedure and two days afterward.