Can I Jog 4 Weeks After Tummy Tuck and Muscle Repair?

I am almost at the 4 week mark. Lots of conflicting answers to this question online. Is it safe to start jogging, playing tennis, cycling at 4 weeks? When is it safe to start boxercise and bootcamp (exercises include boxing bag, press ups, sit ups, star jumps, skipping, tricep dips, planks, squats, lunges etc)? Thanks very much for the answers to my previous question - extremely helpful.

Exercise advice variable after tummy tuck--Why?

Hi Dharma. The reason surgeons give different advice is that there are different patients, and each patient may heal at different rates. Then, of course, there are patients like you who are champing at the bits to get back to exercise, wait appropriately (thank you for following advice) for the OK to resume exercise, and then take off like a rocket with "boxing bag, press ups, sit ups, star jumps, skipping, triceps dips, planks, squats, lunges, etc."  Whoa, tiger lady!

Other patients need pointy-toed boots in the rear to get going, and recommendations are different for each type of patient, and can be altered to take into account areas of delayed healing or other concerns such as seroma (fluid) build-up.

In general (subject to the variations and reasons listed above), I recommend nothing that raises the blood pressure or pulse for 2 weeks after surgery. At 3-4 weeks light exercise (cycling, power walking, upper body toning, etc.) is allowed, and after 4 weeks (all things healed well and no fluid beneath the abdominal flap) the patient can resume all exercise except sit ups, crunches, or abdominal muscle work. Jogging is fine at this point, but not marathon training! At 6 weeks, I recommend starting abdominal exercise or the most vigorous activities gradually until back to full intensity. No sun (or tanning booths) for 6-12 months until scars fade. Spray tan OK!

That's MY plan. But follow your doctor's advice first! And understand that each of us adjusts our advice based on individual patient needs, which is impossible for online, never-met-you interactions! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and exercise

You've waited 4 weeks, wait a couple more and then resume, and not all at once. Why risk it? Take your time.

Victor Au, MD (retired)
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase or activity level. Best wishes.

Exercise after tummy tuck, starting over

After tummy tuck with muscle repair, most will allow exercise to resume with caution. Jogging after four weeks, maybe, but we suggest low impact aerobic activity to start such as recumbent bike, elliptical, even swimming. Boxing, lunges, and the rest should wait six to eight weeks, or after you have returned to a decent level of aerobic fitness. Remember after four weeks you are starting over, and an injury could be in the making.

Start slow with walking and light exercise. I would not suggest jogging and abdominal workouts until you are at least 6 weeks post op. Work your way up to it. If you try to get back to full a exercise routine to quickly you will cause bruising, swelling and discomfort.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

I usually let patients start to exercise about 4 weeks after. They can slowly increase the activity through 6 weeks. No abdominal workout until 6 weeks after surgery

David L. Abramson, MD

Exercise after Tummy Tuck

While everyone heals at a different rate, I usually advice patients to only perform low-impact exercise activities until 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.  I encourage patients to do stretching and low setting on the treadmill or walking around their neighborhood, etc during the initial post-operative time.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Exercise 4 weeks after TT.

I think 4 weeks is a bit early to exercise after abdominoplasty (tummy-tuck).  That's not to say that if you do begin exercising now that something will happen to you...but why push it?  It took a lot to get you to where you are at the four week point. At this point you have a lot to lose and very little to gain by getting too aggressive.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Ask your surgeon for the best advice

You can start doing cardio at 3-4 weeks after surgery, but wait 6 weeks before you do anything more strenuous, like lifting weights and sit-ups. Although you are 4 weeks post-op and can start exercising again, you should begin very slowly and build up to your former intensity. Doing too much too soon can compromise your recovery and can even cause complications. 

Having said this, however, it is important you follow your surgeon's post-op instructions as they may have different guidelines.

Allow time to heal

I would recommend you postpone strenuous exercise for at least another month. Upper body exercises are alright but any exercise that exerts pressure on your tummy should be avoided. At this stage, your muscle repair is not healed yet.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)