Apple shape: long term implications of getting a tummy tuck?

My body shape means most of my fat goes to my stomach. Fat refuses to go to my breasts, arms and legs. What happens post tummy tuck? Will the fat go back there, or choose somewhere else? Just nervous I'll be swapping one problem for another, or have the results ruined.

Apple shape and Tummy Tuck!

Dear Titsiana, if you're shaped like an apple a tummy tuck can still help you.  Take a look at your tummy in the mirror in profile.  If your tummy is really round or prominent above your belly button and the skin is tight then you're a poor candidate for a TT because your fat is mostly inside your belly and around your organs, this is called visceral fat and we can't fix that.  But if your tummy is more prominent below your belly button and you have sagging skin around the pubis then you're a good candidate for a TT regardless of your body shape.  Once you remove fat with a TT it will never come back, that fat is gone! The fat that remains can get fuller if you gain weight that's why these surgeries do better when the patients are committed to maintain their weight or body fat stable... Dr Brou

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for an Apple Shape? Maybe or Maybe Not.

Thank you for your question about Tummy Tuck. Pictures would be helpful.

An "apple shape" typically means that a person carries visceral fat.  Visceral fat is not amenable and is not helped with a tummy tuck

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS