How likely is puckering around areola to go away?

Hello, I have just confirmed my breast augmentation with a circumareolar lift. I am nervous about the puckering that happens to the skin after the nipple is relocated. I'm wondering what determines if this effect will go away, how long does it typically take to go away? Will my breast still appear natural in that area? Does having this lift change the ability to breastfeed? Oh yeah, I will be almost 24 (by surgery date), 5'9" weighing 170 lbs, if this helps. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Circumareola puckering

This happens with circumareola lifts and will be more prominent when more skin is removed. I try to limit this techniques for small moves.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... This can happen with circumareola lifts most of the time, and they can be more prominent or showed more when a consider amount of skin is removed. Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Post Op Puckering

You need to share your concerns with your surgeon and make sure that you are fully aware of the pros and cons of the circumareolar lift. Puckering can occur. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to heal. Hope this helps -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Puckering around the areolas

Hi, cutie2014.

The puckering (or pleating) around the areola will vary amount patients, depending on the extent of lift, sutures used, and surgical techniques.  It may take 3-6 months for them to go away.
Please talk with your plastic surgeon and learn about circumareolar lift - limitations, risks, and benefits.
It is difficult to predict whether you will be able to breastfeed after the surgery. However, most patients are able to breastfeed after augmentation and lift.

Best regards.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Pleating after mastopexy

In my experience with circumareolar mastopexies, the greater the size difference between the outer circle in the inner circle, the more early pleating which is what I think you are describing you will see. These pleats tend to dissipate after several months. Congratulations on your surgery and good luck on your continued recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast lift

You just heard an excellent review from the first plastic surgeon. I agree completely. Only issue is I've seen the occasional patient where took six months or longer for complete resolution. Again, depends on how much skin the doctor is trying to remove. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Puckering

The Pleating depends on the difference in diameter of the new areola and the surround breast skin defect. The larger the difference, the more the pleating. Thicker skin retains the pleating longer and in bigger lifts with thicker skin, may persist somewhat in the long term. I tell patients it is typically weeks to months, not days to weeks. I hope this helps.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD