Hard lumps after Thermitight?

I had thermitight six weeks ago, and have had swelling and hard lumps that are slowly resolving. What are the hard lumps exactly? BTW, I am happy I had the procedure done, however the aftereffects were more than I was expecting.

Lumps after ThermiTite

The lumps that you are experiencing are fairly common after ThermiTite and will resolve with gentle massage and time. They are caused by inflammation in the fat compartment that occurs after fat cell necrosis (death).   If the lumps are large, visible or painful,  they resolve more quickly when the lumps are injected with the anti-metabolite 5FU.  Best wishes.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime after ThermiTight for facial, neck and body tightening and lifting

Thermi is an in-between procedure; in-between surgery and non-invasive procedures.  There is a healing period that involves inflammation underneath the skin, especially in the fat compartment. This is what helps produce more collagen production to tighten the overlying skin. There also can be bruises underneath the skin that takes time to resolve.

I stress to my patients when seen in consultation that Thermi does involve down time. Some swelling is expected and depending on the amount of energy that is needed for the specific patient, the amount of swelling can be more or less, as well as bruising.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps after ThermiTight

The ThermiTight procedure delivers radiofrequency energy to the tissues beneath the skin which is converted into heat. This heat results in several changes at the cellular level including a variable degree of inflammation. The hard lumps and swelling that you are experiencing is a direct result of that inflammation. Please don’t be concerned as these effects will completely resolve in time. In fact, the eventual tightening of the skin after this procedure is initiated by that inflammatory response. Rest easy and enjoy the coming benefits!

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Lumps after ThermiTight

The areas of firmness are most likely areas of inflammation that will resolve with time. Make sure that you follow up with your physician so they can monitor this. Hope this helps.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard lumps after Thermitight

Thank you for your question. I have had a few patients of my own who described having some hard lumps in their abdomen after a thermi tight treatment to their lower abdomen. This secondary to the inflammatory response of the body and should resolve over the next 6-8 weeks. If the bumps persist, please visit with your doctor for possible treatments.

Hard Lumps After ThermiTight

Hi Julie. The swelling and hard lumps are a normal part of the inflammatory process that occur with the ThermiTight treatment. It will all resolve with time. Sometimes, it can take as long as 4 weeks for everything to completely subside. But, it should be getting better with each passing day. If there is any concern you should follow up with your physician for an evaluation. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon