Is It Safe to Get IPL Treatments when Pregnant?

I just found out that I'm about 5 to 6 weeks pregnant. I have an IPL session scheduled, for my face, in 2 weeks. I am mainly having it done for sun damage and I've never had this done before. Can/should I still have this procedure done?

I do not recommend IPL for pregnant women. The hormonal...

I do not recommend IPL for pregnant women.  The hormonal changes of pregnancy can alter the effect of the broad band light therapy and result in stimulation of pigmentation, and accelerate or precipitate melasma.
There is no danger to the baby.

New Orleans Dermatologist

No Energy-Based Devices Recommended for Pregnant Women

IPLs, as well as other devices like lasers, should not be used on anyone that is pregnant. These devices have never been studied in pregnant women, and we recommend no energy-based devices in pregnant women – period.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL during pregnancy

There are no studies indicating whether it is safe or not in pregnancy.  During pregnancy hormones flucuate and there is more risk of hyperpigmentation from the laser.  That being said, I recommend waiting to do IPL until after pregnancy.

Sam Naficy, MD

IPL is a safe procedure, but should be deferred until after pregnancy.

IPL is in theory and in practice completely safe during pregnancy. There is no harmful energy or ionizing radiation involved. My preference is not to treat patients during pregnancy, particularly for melasma, because the pregnancy hormones could exacerbate the pigmentation anyway. In addition, even if this is a perfectly safe and mostly comfortable, well-tolerated procedure, there could be a patient who reacts differently to the treatment, feels more discomfort than the the usual for example, and this may trigger an 'adrenaline' or hormonal response that is undesired for the expectant mother and may pose a stress to the unborn fetus. I would wait until after pregnancy to do all the aesthetic treatments that your doctor can offer you. Good luck and enjoy your beautiful state!

Laser treatments are not recommended during pregnancy

It is best to wait until several months after delivery to get laser or IPL treatments.  Hormonal changes during pregnancy change skin pigmentation and the way skin responds. 

Also, laser and IPL treatments have not been tested for safety in pregnant women, so such data is not available.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Pregnancy is a CONTRAINDICATION to having IPL

Pregnancy is a contraindication for IPL and BBL (Broad Band Light) treatments. The effect on the fetus is unknown and the hormonal shifts of pregnancy make the response of pigmented lesions very unpredictable. It is best to have the treatment after the pregnancy when you reach a normal pre-pregnancy hormonal state.

Dr. P. Aldea

IPL While Pregnant

Because very few treatments of any sort have been studied in pregnant or lactating women, most dermatologists would advise waiting till after the pregnancy.

Besides, a variety of brown blemishes or burst blood vessels may develop during pregnancy, which can then be cleaned up by the IPL afterwards safely.

While the risk of treatment would be remote, why have any risk?

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Pregnant? NO LASER TREATMENTS!

Most everyone will agree that pregnancy is NOT a time to do laser treatments. For obvious reasons, studies cannot be done while women are pregnant so the risks to the fetus are unwarranted.

#BBLsafety  #IPLduringpregnancy   #BBLrisks

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Safety Tips for Laser Treatments

Unfortunately, for the most part, most all laser treatments are not recommended during pregnancy . Since studies cannot be done on the unborn babies of pregnant mothers, it is a general recommendation that women should defer all laser treatments until the post-partum period.

#laserrisks   #safetywithlasers   #pregancyrisks

Pregnancy can cause dramatic changes in your skin. IPL is not recommended if you are pregnant. Hormonal changes during pregnancy create changes in your skins pigmentation and the way it responds. There have not been any studies to show how the fetus would respond to IPL. It is best to avoid IPL until after the delivery of your baby.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon