Sore lumps on forehead after Botox injections! Any suggestions? (photos)

I have been having Botox injections over couple of years without any difficulty and side effects.. But the one I had yesterday from a well known plastic surgeon left me with sore lumps on my forehead! As I have not known before not to take Blood thinners like Vitamin E before the procedure which I did now made me think if the cause of these soar lumps are due to this!? Please help

Sore lumps on forehead after Botox injections! Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question. It is common to have some swelling and possible bruising after Botox injections. Give the areas some time to heal. If your condition changes in any way speak with your injector to discuss your concerns.

Botox bumps

It is common to have small bumps at the site of Botox injections.  These bumps usually last less than an hour. Some physicians prefer to use more solution for reconstituting their Botox which would cause larger bumps but the treatment result should not be affected.  Bruising can also occur.  If the bumps persist, please return to the plastic surgeon.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and Lumps

Lumps after Botox typically happen immediately after and do away fairly quickly.  However, if you have these lumps the next day it could possibly signal an allergy.  I would return to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Lumps after Botox

Your issue is not too uncommon. Usually these go away on their own within a couple of hours. If they do not, it's best to gently ice 3 to 4 times per day for 15 minutes. Do not push on the lumps. 

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after injection

I agree with the prior posts of immediate lumps after Botox and the resolution. If they have popped up after injection few hours to 48hours you may consider an allergic type reaction to something he used, most commonly this would be lidocaine instead of normal saline and that would be the question I would ask now and for your next treatment. If so make sure the diluting solution is normal saline. Best A

Adam Stibich, MD
Hot Springs National Park Dermatologist

Lumps aftre Botox

It is normal to have some bumps and lumps immediately after Botox injections. They should come down and disappear after several minutes to 1-2 hours at the most. If you have those lumps for 24 hours already I would suggest to go to your Botox injector for evaluation as this is out of the normal reaction of Botox in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Botox in Forehead

If the lumps occurred right after the injection but then quickly went away, they are simply due to the Botox that was injected.  Botox needs to be mixed in saline before it is injected and it is normal to see small bumps right after the injection due to the volume effect from the saline.  In some people the bumps tend to be more visible than others.  The lumps/bumps should go away within minutes of your injection. 

If the bumps or lumps were to persist for more than an hour or so, then you should call the office to be evaluated since this would not be a normal expected reaction.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello Mu2001long,

When injected it is common for there to be a small lump.  The more dilute the Botox the more volume that is needed to be injected to reach the appropriate units.  Usually the lumps are gone within an hour.  If they are persisting beyond that it is possible those are areas where blood collected under the skin.  This is very rare with Botox, even in people on blood thinners.  If the area is still lumpy and not just sore I would recommend you follow up with your injector for an in person evaluation.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox injections

It is very common to develop very temporary, short-lived swellings at the site of botox injections. Depending on how botox is mixed (reconstituted) these swellings can be more pronounced but in some cases using greater reconstitution can ensure a more even spread of your botox. Typically such lumps are not sore and if you have persistence of swelling more than 1-2 days, you should definitely address it with your plastic surgeon. When it comes to seeing results, it will typically take 5-7 days. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon