I touched Botox injection site right after not knowing not to touch - am I going to have an issue?

I just had 15 units of Botox above my brow line and in between eyebrows as well as for crows feet. I haven't had it in a while and totally didn't realize you aren't supposed to touch the injection sites for 24 hours. I pressed on a couple of the sites after to try to remove the dried blood and scraped a bit - I am so nervous that this could cause it to spread to other areas and possibly cause an eye droop. What are the chances I am going to have an issue - I am kind of freaking out? Thank you so much!

Botox injections and Post-Procedure

It is best not to massage the treated area for up to 3 days after Botox injections and remain upright for 5 hours after the injections.  Just touching the treated area should not disturb your Botox as many patients cover up the area with make-up immediately after there injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Touched Botox Injection Site

After I inject Botox, I have to clean the dried blood off of the forehead.  Sometimes, I have to press hard.  I have never seen an issue from cleaning the blood off after Botox.  I think there is a very high likely hood that you are going to be just fine.

Touching Botox Area after Treatment

It's very unlikely that you will have any problem. Side effects such as eyelid droop are so rare in my practice.  Most problems due to Botox are due to poor injection technique, not to inadvertent diffusion of Botox.  For an expert injector, problems like eyelid droop should be extremely rare.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. it is unlikely you will experience any adverse effects from Botox. You can still touch your face, it would be the act of massaging the Botox into a muscle it is not indicated for.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Touched botox site after injection

Hello Abmd32,

Thank you for posting your question. It is unlikely that you will have any problems with your Botox treatment due to light pressure. Vigorous massage of the area or laying down flat would pose a concern. The effects of Botox should be seen in about 5-7 days, at this point you will be aware if there is any adverse reaction. Hope this helps!

Best Wishes,
Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Hello Abmd32,

Although it is advised not to massage or touch the area for several hours after injection your description of what you did sounds fine.  Massaging the area would be of a greater concern.  I would not be concerned based on the amount of units you had and the area treated.  If there will be an issue it would show up in about 3-7 days.  Once you pass that time you should not have anything to worry about.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Touching botox site after injection

It is very unlikely that you will induce any kind of droop by touching your botox site after injection, especially if you did it more than  1-2 hours after injection was performed (so 24 hour rule might not be applicable in your case). Therefore at this stage you should not freak out! You will see definitive results in 5-7 days at which point you can determine if there are any concerns and potentially address it with your physician. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox after care

There is no need to worry. Its unlikely that there will be any issues based on your description but there is nothing you or anyone can do about it at this point. If there is Botox spread to unintended muscles, it will wear off in a few weeks (up to 12) and there is no way to reverse it. 

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and inadverted touch

Hi Abmd32,

It is very unlikely that you will create a problem with accidentally touching the injected Botox area. A problem might be caused if the area is massaged vigorously in the first 2-4 hours. small pressing and scarping the dried blood from the injection site should not be a problem. Just relax and enjoy the wonders of Botox. If you still have concerns call your injector for advice also.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz
Double Board Certified in Facial Plastic Surgery

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Any Problems if I touch My Botox Injection Sites?

• You have nothing to worry about if you touch your Botox injection sites during the first 24 hours after receiving Botox. 
  • No need to freak out!
  • Touching those sites will NOT affect your outcome.