Do I have DUPA (Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia)? I am 19 years old male and experiencing hair loss for 4 years.

My hair is Norwood 2 at the moment and my maternal grandpa was like me at 19. But my problem is, I am shedding miniaturized hairs from my donor area. Showed it to my dr and he said your hair is thick on sides and back just a few of them are miniaturized. Does having miniaturized hairs on sides and back confirm %100 dupa or is it should be %50+ to have dupa. Please help me Im crying all day.

DUPA

DUPA requires an expert to assist you in diagnosis. A few miniaturized hairs in the donor area can be seen in most people. Lots of miniaturization is rare. By definition, proportions in excess of 20 % via dermoscopy would be suggestive of AGA and in this context - DUPA.

Vancouver Dermatologist

DUPA

The diagnosis of DUPA is made with a hand microscopic examination of the scalp in the donor area which will show a high degree of miniaturization (well over 20% of the hairs)

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Understanding Hair loss and hair loss treatment options: hair transplant, prp and progesterone

This requires an in-person evaluation. I suggest seeing a hair loss expert now to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like prp/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer