VASER High Def Vs Abdominal Etching Vs. VASER Super Def?

Is there a difference between VASER High Def, Abdominal Etching, and VASER Super Def?

No difference, mostly branding hype

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Is there a difference between VASER High Def, Abdominal Etching, and VASER Super Def? What a great question!

I appreciate the difficulty that you are having in trying to discern the difference between these ‘types’ of liposuction. In my opinion, there is not much difference. What we mostly have here is marketing and branding hype.

All the methods you have listed use liposuction to treat the superficial and deep layers of fat. Various anatomic landmarks can be sculpted or “etched”. The most important factor in obtaining excellent aesthetic outcomes is the skill, training and experience of your surgeon. I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in body contouring and liposuction. See and review actual pre-operative and post-operative pictures of patients that represent the surgeon’s work. Obtain weight and size dimensions. Often the results of liposuction can be misleading and confusing. After undergoing surgery, some patients adopt an aggressive exercise and dieting regimen and lose additional fat, weight, and inches.

I use the VASER® technology in my practice and feel that this is a great tool for body contouring. However, I am the first to admit that the most essential feature is the skill set and artistic ability of each surgeon, not the branding, naming, or marketing publicity. Do your homework when selecting your surgeon!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Be careful what you ask for because you may get it: Abdominal etching & Hi Def for washboard or six pack

I have seen the complications of abdominal etching and it is not pretty. Under ideal conditions, abdominal etching is performed in patients who have achieved an ideal body weight but are unable to achieve the definition and contouring of a "six pack". So the liposuction removes the fat in a pattern that mimics the grooves of a washboard abdomen. The actor soldiers in the film 300 had these grooves digitally enhanced using special paint and photography.

The problem occurs with the slightest bit of weight gain, the remaining normal fat can grow and create a somewhat grotesque appearance with irreguarities, cellulite or a 12 pack. Buyer Beware!

A Rose is a Rose.....

Hi there,

The past few years have really seen an explosion of new names for all sorts of procedures in the world of aesthetic medicine and surgery (Mini-facelift, lunch time facelift, short scar facelift, lifestyle lift, etc), and liposuction has been one of the most affected techniques- your question is a good example of how, in an effort to attract patients, device manufacturers and doctors sometimes try to do so by giving something they are doing a cute and new name.

VASER Hi-Def is a well-defined technique in which the VASER (an excellent and safe device for body contouring that I personally believe strongly in) is used in a particular way to superficially sculpt muscular definition into the contour of otherwise already fairly well-contoured individuals.

The technique is not really new (superficial contouring has been being performed for some time)- but using the VASER to do it is what led to this nomenclature. Abdominal etching is just another way to describe superficial sculpting, as is Super Def... I think you must remind yourself of the bottom line from time to time... Find a well-trained and reputable Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that you like and feel you can work with, describe your goals to him/her, and together decide on a technique that IN THEIR HANDS is likely to achieve your goals. This will give you a good chance of being happy when you're done.

Catchy names and promises that a provider can offer something no one else does usually end up coming up short when results are measured.

Vaser hi def results

VAser hi def is confusing because the technique utilizes a VASER in addition to slected techniques to get the result. Many people use VASER to do liposuction, but this does not mean they know how to do the hi def procedure. The 2 are not synonymous with each other.

I have been trained in all aspects of liposuction, using traditional, PAL (power assisted) and most recently VASER. For me, the VASER is the most effective at removing fat. In addition, it is the only modality that I have found that allows me to perform the HI DEF procedure.

As for super hi def- I have never heard of it.

Sam M. Sukkar, MD

VASER High Def = Super Def = Abdominal Etching

VASER allows experienced Plastic surgeons to literally selectively unveil the structures under the skin. By incrementally moving more fat from certain areas, the surgeon can enhance the appearance of underlying well-toned muscles.

To call more attention to such techniques various imaginative came up with the terms HI Def, Super Def, Abdominal Etching etc. It is clear that more catchy names are on the way but the principles underlying this VASER technique are the same.

Dr. P. Aldea

VASER High Def Vs Abdominal Etching Vs. VASER Super Def

Some studies show that there is less injury to the body with Vaser than with traditional #liposuction. Recovery from Vaser Liposuction is based on the level of soreness and bruising experienced by the patient. But, it can vary among patients. As with traditional liposuction, there are no large incisions  or effect on the muscle and other underlying tissue. Therefore, #healing time may be less than anticipated by most. Therefore, Vaser patients may experience less #pain or discomfort, #swelling (#edema) and bruising post procedure due to the nature of the technique.  There are three types of #Vaser Lipo. Each benefit patients differently depending on their needs. Vaser Lipo  is capable of removing fat from resilent areas providing a smoother and slimmer results. It is common for reducing love handles, extra skin along the bra line or flanks on many female patients. Additionally, it is often applied to the reduction of male breast surgeries, called gynecomastia surgery. Meanwhile, Vaser Hi-Def  targets both deep and superficial fat cells which is found around muscle tissue. This is suggested to tone and defined rather than reduce fat when not necessary. Finally, Vaser #4D, although similar to Vaser Hi-Def works well with the existing muscle tissue.. However, it results in more natural appearing definition to those areas, being treated. Vaser 4D is often applied to treating abdominal region to improve definition.  Additionally, it's not uncommon for Vaser Liposuction to combined with fat transfer which removes and transfers fat to another area of the body.

It's best to begin consulting with a board certified plastic surgery to learn if you are a candidate for liposuction. If so, you will then learn more about which #technique will work best for you and your goals. It is important you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with #vaser #liposuction. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.

The technique is the same it is just the tools that are different.

That is a very good question. All of these techniques essentially create the same 3d contouring. You must recognize that in the spectrum of plastic surgeons there are differences in the tools that they use. My suggestion is to find a board-certified plastic surgeon with good experience in these techniques preferably finding a board certified plastic surgeon who does more than 100 Abdominal etching's or high DEF's per year and allow them to choose the tools that there are most comfortable with.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Super hi-def with 3D

Ab etching can be done with conventional techniques, Vaser, the proprietary Vaser high definition, or any other technique. I prefer Vaser. Marketing oftens spawns new names of techniques to appeal to a public clamoring for the newest and best. When you are looking for a plastic surgeon, ask to see their results. You be the judge.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Vaser Hidef

Vaser Hi def is a technique that employs the Vaser ultrasonic liposuction device and sculpts the body. I thought it was hype when I first heard about it, but I took the course and was truly impressed with the results. It does employ some of the techniques used to create abdominal etching but I think it takes it to another level. Yes, I can get some of the results using tumescent traditional liposuction, but I think this adds just another level to the result.