VASER High Def Lipo: Side Effects and Risks

I work out a good amount and I cannot shed the tiny layers of ab fat and love handles. I'm pretty thin (8% body fat) but the 'shredded' look is extremely hard to accomplish. should I be concerned? Is there any side effects? Is there a possibility I could end up looking 'odd' like a bad drawing? I would be very upset about that. I'm torn, any tips or help would greatly be appreciated! The picture below is what they advertised as the results I can expect.

VASER works for improving the definition of the muscles, but the surgeon is still most critical to your outcome.

Hi there-

Just as you would never assume that simply by climbing behind the wheel of Michael Schumacher's racing car you would immediately start winning Formula 1 races, it is not reasonable to believe that just because someone has the financial wherewithal to purchase a VASER (or Smartlipo, or any other device), that they will be able to deliver the outcome you want.

First be sure you are dealing with a reputable and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Please read the following, as I think it will help you understand the pitfalls people often fall into with liposuction and the amazing number of unqualified people marketing themselves as "liposuction experts":

Tumescent liposuction, VASER Lipo, Smart Lipo, Cool lipo, Pro Lipo, Slim Lipo, Water Jet lipo...

What does this all mean? If I don't get Smart lipo does that mean I'm dumb? If my surgeon recommends Slim Lipo does that mean he/she isn't a "Pro"? It truly is a ridiculous situation we have come to with regard to liposuction and the number of people trying to cash in on America's desire to be rid of its collective fat.

In well motivated patients, body contour improvement can be a very healthy endeavor, but how is an otherwise intelligent and well-adjusted person to know the difference between a responsible provider of aesthetic services offering them safe options for help with their body contour and a poorly trained and inexperienced provider more interested in their wallet than in your outcome and safety?

It is first important to realize that all of these devices will require you to undergo a liposuction procedure. The only difference is the approach to the treatment of the fat prior to its removal.

Because they all involve liposuction, and this is in fact a surgical procedure, it is very important that you "do your homework" and find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who has the years of training in liposuction necessary to give you the safe experience and superior outcome you deserve and desire. Behind the amazing number of machines now available to remove your fat, there has followed an army of their sales representatives and an equally impressive number of providers marketing themselves as "liposuction experts".

What has made them "liposuction experts"? In almost all cases, a few days or weekends training with the salesman for the device or with someone more experienced in the procedure. It is their promise that if you have the device in their possession brought to bear on your behalf, your fat will be gone, your skin will miraculously shrink away, you won't need any anesthesia because the device allows painless removal of the fat, and it can be done on your lunch hour. The only thing I am surprised by at this point is that they don't promise you'll get rich and be more sexually alluring after the procedure too.

Selling the particular device to patients is not unlike someone saying to you that because they will give you access to Tony Stewart's racing car that you will be able to win this weekend's race and make a million dollars. Tony Stewart wins races because he is a great racing car driver AND he has a great car...This is no different.

Getting the best outcome from a body contouring procedure depends most on finding a well-qualified and experienced surgeon, and much less on the device used.

Most of these people are so aggressive in their marketing of these questionable devices because they are, in fact, not trained plastic surgeons but rather are either not physicians at all, or they are doctors with core training which would not have prepared them to do liposuction. Many have read recently about a death in my home state of Florida after a healthy 40ish year old mother had liposuction performed be a rehabilitation medicine doctor. Amazingly, I know of eye doctors (!!) doing liposuction as well- and yes, they market themselves as "liposuction experts".

The particular device used can affect the overall experience, however.

Despite the claims of the manufacturer and the practitioners who plunked down the large sum the device costs, Smartlipo has never been proven to shrink skin better than tumescent liposuction. SmartLipo, SlimLipo, Prolipo, and Coolipo all use a laser to destroy the fat cells, allowing them to be removed by liposuction. My problem with these is that, first of all, as a scientist and doctor I am offended when false claims of benefit are made, and that because the lasers will burn whatever you point them at, I worry that your nerves, blood vessels, muscles, and skin may be injured by the laser.

Bottom line (and in my opinion) -- there is no benefit to these devices, they are expensive (meaning that the cost to you, the patient, will be higher as well), and the risks are higher.

Tumescent liposuction is the gold standard to which all other techniques must be compared. It has been proven to be safe and effective over many years (provided that it is performed by a well-trained surgeon). It involves the injection of a fluid into the fatty tissue layer that causes blood vessels to shrink and the fat to expand, making it easier to remove and lowering the risk of a complication.

VASER lipo involves an additional step, in which the fat (after injection of fluid but before suction is applied) is treated with ultrasound energy. Unlike the laser filaments used in SmartLipo and the other devices mentioned above, the VASER probe is blunt and the ultrasound energy it uses is much more specific for fat, so that the risk of injury to the blood vessels and nerves, as well as the muscles and skin are much lower. This is seen in the patient experience of reduced swelling and bruising.

Each time a new (revolutionary!) liposuction machine comes out, I think the most important questions to ask are not "Does it work?", but rather, "Does it work better than what is already available, is it less expensive (not more), and is it safer than what is already available?"

The VASER (in my opinion) passes this test, while the laser based devices do not.

Having said all of that, I would emphasize that it is the education, training, experience, and skill of the surgeon at the end of the liposuction device that will make the greatest difference in your outcome and safety. There is not substitute for the years of training Board Certified Plastic Surgeons receive in liposuction, directly supervised by other Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. A well trained and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be more than capable of achieving a better outcome through tumescent liposuction than any eye doctor with a Water Jet. As in the analogy of Tony Stewart above- a great professional with a great tool (like the VASER) would only make those results and their safety even greater.

Please know that I have no financial relationship with any of these companies and have personally tried each of the discussed technologies myself on patients.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi there-

Vaser hi def

This procedure, which requires extensive specialized training, uses the concept of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy. By removing the fat in certain areas, and leaving it in others, you can create an athletic looking physique. To accentuate the positive spaces, fat can be injected selectively- ie buttocks, chest.

It truly is a sculpting procedure and requires the VASER to get optimal results and skin tightening over the newly created contour.

The term liposculpture is overused, in my opinion. This technique is truly that , however. I have used all of the techniques and all of the machines out there and in MY opinion and MY hands, VASER works the best for me.

Vaser hi def

Vaser High Definition Liposcution (Etching) Side Effects

Excellent question as no surgical procedure is without potential negative side effects. High definition sculpting or etching with Vaser Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction is an excellent technique for the properly selected patient, but it is not for everyone. I typically take a more conservative approach to high def sculpting as I wish to create a more athletic, muscular appearance yet leave a natural, BELIEVABLE result. All too often attempts to sculpt six pack can yield a fake, unnatural result. Therefore I prefer to accentuate the rectus abdominis (sit-up) muscles along the vertical axis and not artificially create the transverse depressions as this can sometimes lead to unusual, unequal results. Aside from asymmetric results, patients can experience other untoward side effects including burns of the skin and under or over liposuctioning. Prolonged swelling and a peau d'organge appearance to the etched skin may be an expected side effect that resolves in 6-8 weeks. the final result form this advanced technique is not for 9-12 months. Often patients can further accentuate the outcome by and excercise regimen that stresses building the musculature of the treated areas.

Vaser hi def body contouring

Vaser hi def liposuction is a great technique for selectively removing unwanted fat and contouring areas to enhance muscle appearance. This is a highly specialized technique and requires extensive training and experience. There are many possible complications including contour irregularities and skin pigmentation changes. Make sure that your surgeon discusses these issues with you. You should confirm that they have extensive experience.

Andrew Goldberg, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Vaser hi def body contouring

Andrew Goldberg, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Def lipo, side effects and risks

It sounds that you are the ideal candidate for this procedure. First of all, VASER Hi Def lipo is not the same as liposuction. A lot of surgeons and non surgeons do liposuction or just suck fat with variable results. For VASER Hi Def you need specialized training in the technique and also have an intimate knowledge of the static and dynamic muscular anatomy. VASER Hi Def lipo is for people whose BMI <30, do not have loose skin and are not massive weight loss patients. The only side effect and risk is that you have this procedure done by a surgeon who is not trained in VASER Hi Def or does not understand or respect the dynamic muscle anatomy.

Vaser hi def

Vaser hi def is worth it in the right hands. The most important factors that determine outcome are the quality and elasticity of your skin ( the more elastic the better outcome) and the experience of the surgeon doing the procedure.  Usually plastic surgeons that focus on hi-def enjoy doing liposuction and want to take their craft to the next level by owning the best equipment to perform the procedure.  Vaser allows the surgeons to gentle release fat cells from their connective tissue framework.  This becomes fully realized in fibrous areas but in my experience, about a third of sll patients have fibrous tough doughy fat.  Traditional liposuction in these patients is very difficult.  Further, in revision or secondary cases of liposuction or in patients with massive weight loss/ fibrous fat is nearly 100% present-so Vaser really helps.  In regard to your situation, if you are really concerned, meet patients who have had this procedure done by this surgeon.  Word of mouth is always the best test!   Good luck.

Michael A. Giuffrida, MD
Venice Plastic Surgeon

Vaser hi def

Michael A. Giuffrida, MD
Venice Plastic Surgeon

Vaser High Definition Liposuction Safety

Vaser High definition liposuction is much safer than traditional, allowing for comprehensive removal of all the fat. Please get a consultation with a high definition liposuction surgeon to understand the benefits that it can have for you.

Possible Side Effects & Risks Associated with Vaser Liposuction

Your doctor will first verify if you are an ideal candidate for #vaser #lipo during your consultation. All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk and the need for revision surgery is always a possibility. Some side effects and complications associated with #liposuction include:
Hematoma (#bleeding), blood clots, fat clots, infection,  deep vein #thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications, excessive #fluid loss, fluid accumulation (#edema), leg #swelling, sensitivity to #sensation, #pain, severe #scarring and poor incision healing damage to nerves, blood vessels, muscles, lungs, and abdominal organs is possible.

Other side effects which may be experienced while healing which can cause concern are #swelling, #pain, #asymmetry #uneven skin pigmentation, discoloration of the #skin, uneven contours and rippling of the skin in the area(s) treated.

Hence, it is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with #vaser #liposuction. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.

Vaser high definition is great in experienced hands

vaser high definition is great in experienced hands. If the surgeon does not follow the natural anatomy of the patient or the patient doesn't have strong muscle core or the patient has lose skin then the results can look drawn on.  You need to be the right candidate and you need an experienced surgeon.  

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

Vaser is the best for hi definition cases and for fat harvesting that can be used to define and sculpt muscles such as the buttock, chest, arms. I suggest seeing an expert who does 4D hi def liposuction if you are looking for body etching.  The results are based on the post operative care and risks are same as other types of liposuction but higher with VASER hi def -- irregularities, swelling, unrealistic results etc.  Best, Dr. Emer.