I am now 2 weeks and 4 days post Endoscopic Mid face Lift Lower eyelid surgery+ Malar (cheeks). Is this normal?

I am now 2 weeks and 4 days post Endoscopic Mid face Lift Lower eyelid surgery+ Malar (cheeks). My cheeks are so swollen and my under eyes are quite hard and swollen with yellow bruising, it has gone down a lot but i look like a cat? is this normal, how long will it take for the swelling to go down, its under my eyes that is my main concern as the puffyness has changed my face, thank you

Facial swelling 2 1/2 weeks after endoscopic midface

Thank you for asking about your mid-face lift.

• You will be swollen and this may be entirely normal.
  • But you need to check with your surgeon
  • It can take another 4 weeks to subside.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

What to Expect Following Your Facelift

Your healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. #Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). When the skin is separated from the underlying tissues during surgery, small sensory #nerves are cut. Varying degrees of numbness will be present after surgery and will improve gradually as the nerves reconnect to the skin. This process can take from 2-6 months for face, neck and cheeks, and to 9-12 months for the forehead and scalp. Muscle weakness may also be present around the mouth especially if liposuction is used. This typically recovers fully in the months after surgery. 

As the nerves regenerate, the itching, burning, tingling and shooting #sensations will occur. Ice, moisturizers and gentle #massaging are helpful during this phase of the #healing process. Frequently there is a tight feeling in the neck, jawline and cheek after a facelift. During surgery, not only the skin but the underlying muscles are tightened to create a better and longer lasting result. Additionally, the #swelling will move downward in the first week and the neck will feel even tighter. Do not be alarmed: the sensation will decrease during the first month. 

Some degree of firmness or lumpiness under the skin is normal after surgery and will resolve with time. Local #massage of the areas may accelerate the resolution of this problem, which normally takes 2-4 months to disappear completely.
The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply. The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Hello 3330anon,

Based on the procedure performed you will have quite a bit of swelling over your cheeks.  80% of the swelling is gone in two weeks in most patients but it will take up to 2 months for 90% of that swelling to be gone.  Since all of your work was around your cheeks, that is where most of the swelling will take place.  Assuming you wanted to add a lot more cheek volume (malar implant and mid face lift) then as the swelling goes down you should see the result you wanted.  Make sure you follow up with your surgeon to make sure everything is healing appropriately.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your swelling is common at 2 weeks post-op.

While any amount of facial swelling can cause you to feel concerned, try not to jump to any conclusions about your facelift results. The under-eye area is particularly prone to dramatic swelling after surgery, and at 2 weeks post-op, you are still very early in the healing process. It can take several months for swelling to fully subside after a facelift. Try to be patient and simply allow your body to rest. Follow up with your plastic surgeon if you see no improvement in the coming weeks.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after mid face lift

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your experience.  You are still early in the healing process and swelling and some distortion of features can be normal.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes!
Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Elizabeth Whitaker, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal after surgery?

Some bruising and firmness is common after surgery and typically goes away and softens over several weeks to months as healing progresses. As for 'looking like a cat' it is difficult to comment without  a photo or exam; I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Bryan Correa, MD

Swelling after a mid facelift

Hi 3330anon, 18 days is still relatively early in the healing process. It sounds like you are on the right path as your healing has gone down a lot. I would follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Facelift

Thank you for your question. It's not uncommon to experience swelling after your operation. It is still too early to judge if your results will remain as such.

I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an assessment and to discuss your concerns.

Take care.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Unusual appearance two weeks after a modified facelift.

One would certainly expect to have swelling two weeks out from the operations you describe. As long as the trend is favorable I don't think you have much to worry about. There's not much they can be done to hasten the resolution of swelling.

Post op swelling.

An endoscopic  mid facelift is a very invasive procedure. Photographs would be very helpful in assessing the swelling and bruising that you have this early on in your postoperative course. This particular procedure leads to very significant swelling and induration that can take several months to fully resolve. Be patient and follow up  closely with your plastic surgeon. Again if you can post photographs, it will be easier to steer you in the correct direction. 

Winfield Hartley, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon