I am now 2 weeks and 4 days post Endoscopic Mid face Lift Lower eyelid surgery+ Malar (cheeks). Is this normal?

I am now 2 weeks and 4 days post Endoscopic Mid face Lift Lower eyelid surgery+ Malar (cheeks). My cheeks are so swollen and my under eyes are quite hard and swollen with yellow bruising, it has gone down a lot but i look like a cat? is this normal, how long will it take for the swelling to go down, its under my eyes that is my main concern as the puffyness has changed my face, thank you

Facial swelling 2 1/2 weeks after endoscopic midface

Thank you for asking about your mid-face lift.

• You will be swollen and this may be entirely normal.
  • But you need to check with your surgeon
  • It can take another 4 weeks to subside.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Hello 3330anon,

Based on the procedure performed you will have quite a bit of swelling over your cheeks.  80% of the swelling is gone in two weeks in most patients but it will take up to 2 months for 90% of that swelling to be gone.  Since all of your work was around your cheeks, that is where most of the swelling will take place.  Assuming you wanted to add a lot more cheek volume (malar implant and mid face lift) then as the swelling goes down you should see the result you wanted.  Make sure you follow up with your surgeon to make sure everything is healing appropriately.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your swelling is common at 2 weeks post-op.

While any amount of facial swelling can cause you to feel concerned, try not to jump to any conclusions about your facelift results. The under-eye area is particularly prone to dramatic swelling after surgery, and at 2 weeks post-op, you are still very early in the healing process. It can take several months for swelling to fully subside after a facelift. Try to be patient and simply allow your body to rest. Follow up with your plastic surgeon if you see no improvement in the coming weeks.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after mid face lift

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your experience.  You are still early in the healing process and swelling and some distortion of features can be normal.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes!
Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Is this normal after surgery?

Some bruising and firmness is common after surgery and typically goes away and softens over several weeks to months as healing progresses. As for 'looking like a cat' it is difficult to comment without  a photo or exam; I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Swelling after a mid facelift

Hi 3330anon, 18 days is still relatively early in the healing process. It sounds like you are on the right path as your healing has gone down a lot. I would follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Facelift

Thank you for your question. It's not uncommon to experience swelling after your operation. It is still too early to judge if your results will remain as such.

I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an assessment and to discuss your concerns.

Take care.

Unusual appearance two weeks after a modified facelift.

One would certainly expect to have swelling two weeks out from the operations you describe. As long as the trend is favorable I don't think you have much to worry about. There's not much they can be done to hasten the resolution of swelling.

Post op swelling.

An endoscopic  mid facelift is a very invasive procedure. Photographs would be very helpful in assessing the swelling and bruising that you have this early on in your postoperative course. This particular procedure leads to very significant swelling and induration that can take several months to fully resolve. Be patient and follow up  closely with your plastic surgeon. Again if you can post photographs, it will be easier to steer you in the correct direction. 

Swelling after midface and lower eyelid surgery

This endoscopic approach to face lifting is done at the deepest level over the bone.  This is a very vascular layer and can bleed after surgery cause swelling and bruising.  The tissues around the lower eyelids are particularly susceptible to swelling especially when a blepharoplasty is done at the same time as a deep plain face lift.  It sounds like you are beginning to turn the corner and you will likely see more yellowish discoloration.  You will probably be presentable in 3 to 4 weeks from now.  You can use moist heat, Arnica Montana (sublinqual and topical), and Bromalain (oral) to speed your healing.