Can I take off the scabs after 7 days of hair transplant?

It has been seven days from my hair transplantation. Can I take off the scabs with my hands ? It is falling off naturally. So, can I remove it for once and all? [Thank you all for responding to my previous post. I appreciate it from my heart.]

Removing scabs from the recipient area 7 days after a hair transplant

If you have irrigated your grafts well, there is a simple solution to getting those crusts out of the recipient area.  I have our patients irrigate their new grafts with a spray composed of Lactated Ringer's solution to which I add Liposomal ATP to feed the new grafts energy, particularly in the first 4 days.  At day 7, if there are any scabs remaining in the recipient area, our protocol is to have the patients put a decent amount of baby oil on the grafts and let it sit there for a half an hour.  Then jump in the shower, shampoo a few times and most all of the scabs and crusts should just come right off.  Hope this helps.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

In theory it is ok however many variables come into play such as age and medical history. However, you should really contact the doctor and/or use the post procedure care packet they gave you.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Post op care

As a board certified facial plastic surgeon I am emphatic that post op care needs to be addressed by the surgeon who performed the case.  I suggest you call the office.  Generally speaking, it is ok to massage the scabs off in the shower gently with out picking at them.  All patients are individuals so answers need to be customized for them specifically.

Roy Stoller, DO, FAOCO, FAAO

Removing Scabs after Hair Transplant

Yes you may remove the scabs but do not pick at them. The best way to be getting rid of the scabs is shampooing your hair and leaving the shampoo on the scalp for a few minutes and the scabs will begin to release on their own. You can shampoo up to 3 times per day at this point to encourage the process of getting rid of the scabs, but don't pick at them as you may inadvertently pull out a follicle.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op scabs after hair transplant

hi rvrj

thanks for the question. From day 7 to 14 the goal is to gently help the scabs come off. You don't need to do all in one day.  

Starting day 7, we advise patients to starting using the pads of their fingers to very gently shampoo the grafts. If alot of scabbing is present, baby oil can be placed on the grafts for 15-20 minutes. This really helps soften the crusts and scabs and they come off easily with shampooing.

Don't pick at the grafts. Let them come off with the gentle massaging routine

Can I remove the crusts at 7 days after my hair transplant

You can do this and lose the grafts. Crusts when removed prematurely, pull out the grafts and we have documented this in published articles in medical journals. Read the web reference below on how to take care of your grafts after surgery.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Ask your doctor

You should not be taking scabs off or peeling them off with your hands.  You need to follow your doctor's instructions on hair washing and post operative care.  If you are not sure how to wash your hair, you can also see your doctor for a recheck and your doctors staff can should be able to help you wash your hair (if they offer it).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care

Your doctor should give you a cleaning regiment to follow. This includes instructions for cleaning the scabs in the recipient area.  At seven days, the scabs may still be fresh and you need to be a bit more careful and gentle while cleaning.  

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

I would avoid picking scabs off.  By 7 to 10 days they should dissolve or fall off naturally with a good rinsing routine.  However, I'd defer to your doc for his or her post procedure protocol.

Tim Neavin, MD