Can dermaplaning get rid of five o clock shadow on my upper lip? (photos)

It's very superficial but it bothers me a lot, it seems like it even randomly gets darker. It's mainly annoying because my skin is otherwise nice then there's this random grayish "shadow " on my upper lip. Someone said dermaplaning can get rid of it perhaps with chemical peel but I want to know for sure

Hyperpigmentation on upper lip

I would recommend the use of a Hydroquinone to help lighten the area above your upper lip. I have seen it work very well in patients who have darker skin and may not respond to laser treatments.

Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion for upper lip

Thaley, 

Thanks for your question. I understand your concern. Dermabraision carries risks of making your skin pink or much lighter than it is currently. This could actually produce more problems for you. I would not recommend dermabrasion for you. 

Skin products with hydroquinone, such as triluma (hydroquinone, steroid, retin-A) can help you. This product has 4% hydroquinone which is a very low percentage and is unlikely to cause pigment problems. If this doesn't help, there are higher concentrations that could possibily help you. 

I would see a dermatologist near you who you trust to see what the best option is for you!

Good Luck!

Dr. Robb

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Physician

Dermaplaning for hyperpigmentation of the upper lip.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I would not recommend dermaplaning or medical manual dermabrasion for this problem; I would feel that the risks of excess underpigmentation as well as exacerbation of the pigmentation would be significant even with a regimen of skin priming prior to treatment. 

I would feel that you would be better of with topical agents and I think it would be important that you approach this problem gently and gradually so as to again not create an over reaction to any treatment.

There are powerful agents such as Triluma or Pigmanorm but I would start off with gentler treatments containing kojic acid or azelaic acid; some second generation 'cosmeceutical' agents are available to lighten skin - I would suggest that you discuss this with your plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

I hope that you found this information helpful.

my very best wishes

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon