I don't have hair loss - follicles have been constantly less in number (even when I was 10). What's wrong? (photo)

I do not have hair loss ( I know this because I have lived with this my entire life with people constantly teasing me). My father who is 57 has a full head of hair and so does my brother who is 7. I am 20. I have posted twice before and have been told that I have AGA. The dermatologist I went to told me that fin has no chance of working (she too did not know what the problem was and discounted finestride because I told her that I did not lose hair). I beg of you to tell me what's wrong and help.

Doctor Answers 3

Low hair density all my life - what's the cause?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for sharing. If you've truly had low density all your life (before age 8), you likely have one of the many hereditary or hypotrichosis syndromes, genetic syndromes, or hair shaft issues (with the third diagnosis being rather unlikely for you).  I'd need to know everything about your history from before your were born, to the day you were born, to your first few years. I'd need to know about your family. I'd need to know about your teeth, nails, sweating, and any illnesses you have now. I'd need to look at your hair under the microscope and see your nails and hands and teeth. The shape of your face, ears, nose and chin help me as well.

Male balding can start age age 8 or 9. However, I'd expect you would have a lot less density if your cause of low density right now was early onset male balding. As you can see it's an extensive processes to determine causes of hair loss in children. But that's what's needed if you have had low density since childhood!. Of course I can't say whether you have male balding now as well. But if you truly had low density from age 3,4,5,6 and 7 I can assure you it's not causes by male balding. 

Vancouver Dermatologist


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

your best bet is to have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your history, scalp and hair, and discuss with you the options available to you, as well as formulate both short term and long term plans.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Reduced density reported

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need to be analysed by a doctor who can study your hair, count the number of hairs and perform bulk measurements to determine a diagnosis

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.