Do I Have Enough Skin to Perform a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 25 I habe two children (am done having kids) but im worried I dont have enough skin to get the results I am hoping for. I weigh around 100 lbs. I have loose skin and stretch marks.

Loose abdominal skin makes you a candidate for abdominoplasty

Yes, that extra skin can be removed during a tummy tuck/abdominoplasty.  You must be accepting of the scars that will result, and any good BC PS can candidly discuss these and other issues with you.  Best of luck.

Scars

If you are willing to accept the scar then you should have the abdominoplasty with the floating umbilicus

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Do I Have Enough Skin to Perform a Tummy Tuck?

The only way to get the right answer is with an in-person exam at a consultation. The overall contour looks excellent, and the skin laxity looks like it is mostly in the upper abdomen. 

There may be several possiblities discussed. It is possible that there is more loose skin than is apparent in the photos, and in that case a full TT may be in order.

Other possibilities include a reverse abdominoplasty where an incision is made in the breast fold and the excess skin is removed through that incision. 

A third procedure, perhaps the likeliest is an Umbilical float technique, in which a standard lower abdominal incision is made, but he navel is lifted off the abdominal wall and is reattached in a somewhat lower postion. Since your navel looks rather high, that would be an acceptable option. I will say that in my experience, even when the new navel position is "improved" many patients feel the navel is too low, as they are used to the original position even if it is too high. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

While you have enough loose skin for some form of a tummy tuck, the problem is going to be the incision placement/scar. It would likely end up much higher than you desire to get a really good effect. If the scar is kept really low, the amount of change around the periumbilical area will not be as significant. A physical exam to pinch and pull your skin is needed and you need to have a very clear understanding of the resultant scar to determine if this is a good procedure for you.

I believe many, many women would love to have your tummy after two children.

Like everything in life you will need to consider the costs of surgery (healing time, scars and money) vs. the hoped-for benefits.

Whether you have enough skin laxity for a full abdominoplasty can only be determined in person. If you don't have much looseness of your skin there may be other options, such as a floating umbilicus.

See an experienced aesthetic plastic surgeon in your area.

Good luck!

Tummy tuck

I agree with the previous surgeons that you may be a good candidate for sliding the belly button down. An examination is needed, but I would not recommend a reverse tummy tuck.

Floating umbilicus abdominoplasty

From your front view, you have loose skin but not enough for complete removal to create a new umbilicus hole on the skin flap without leaving a vertical scar on the abdomen. Your umbilicus is naturally high. Therefore, I think you are a great candidate for abdominoplasty with floating the umbilicus. This procedure detach the umbilus from the abdomen and allow the removal of the excess skin. The umbilicus will move lower on your abdomen approximately 2-3cm. Good Luck 

Mytien Goldberg, MD, FACS

Do I have enough loose skin for a tummy tuck?

The best way to determine how much loose skin that you have prior to a tummy tuck is to bend forward at the waist and pinch how much "extra" skin you have.  Without actually pulling on your akin I cannot tell for sure but based on your photos, I would guess that you do not have enough extra skin to have a tummy tuck.

Umbilicoplasty and Reverse Tummy Tuck

The supraumbilical laxity is apparent and the belly button can be improved.  I would recommend a reverse tummy tuck and an umbilicoplasty.  An exam may reveal that a tummy tuck is possible but unlikely.  The belly button is high and you have very little laxity below the belly button.  Find someone who has the credentials and knowhow to give you the best result.

Judging from the photos, I would advise against abdominoplasty.  You don't appear to have significant excess skin nor a post-partum abdominal bulge, but even more important in my advice against the procedure is your high belly button and your very nice appearing abdomen.  If you do tummy tuck, the scar must be low.  Whoever does it should not try to remove all the skin between suprapubic scar and umbilicus, but as much as possible with closure of the circum-umbilical incision in the lower abdomen... or a short suprapubic vertical component.

Steve Laverson, MD