How Long Does the Thread Lift Last?

14% Satisfaction

14% is the satisfaction rate on this website from threadlifts, the lowest of any recorded category.

Comments from patients cover the gamut, from it didn't work, it didn't work long enough, facial distortion, extruding hooks, chronic pain, palpable lumps, etc. In our practice, we remove suture material from threadlifts on a weekly basis, usually while performing the facelift that patients needed initially.

Some patients do report seeing a benefit for a year, some for up to a year and a half. Some note immediate distortion and no results beyond a few months.

Why don't threadlifts accomplish the same as a facelift if they are pulling on the same tissues?

Strings placed through the tissues without any undermining tend to pull through the tissues. They do not hold up the way that undermined and fixated tissues do (i.e. during a facelift). An experienced facelift surgeon will require 20-40 sutures, placed directly in the deep tissues alone, to hold up the layer until it heals in a higher (and lifted) position. Strings are at a disadvantage because tissues are not undermined and only a few sutures are placed.

But this information is nothing new.

Patients should go into procedures with their eyes open to what the likely results are. Stringlifts do not produce facelift results.

Lifestyle lift, Thread lift....buyer beware

A thread lift or lifestyle lift is a procedure touted for fast recovery and cheaper alternative to a facelift.  If it sounds to good to be true it usually is.  The operation involves placing a barbed suture under the skin and using is to pull up and back the face or neck.  Eventually the sutures break, get infected or cause distortion and can be difficult to fix.  Surprisingly it is not that cheap either.  I do not perform these types of lifts as I have seen patients with complications but never seen a patient happy with the results.  

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Not long enough!

The Threadlift was a novel idea but just didn't work in reality to justify what was a significant expense. At their best, they might have had a subtle benefit for a year but usually much less than that. For that reason, I am not aware of any real plastic surgeons who can offer proper surgeries and other treatments who still offer a Threadlift in their practices.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

PDO THREAD LIFT- HOW LONG?

One of the safest materials for the body! Restores the youthful V- Shape  face!
Absorbable PDO threads last up to 12 months- This is a natural painless, non-invasive lunch time procedure! The PDO thread is a synthetic absorbable surgical suture that is composed of polydoixanone. it leaves you with 0 scar tissue ! No downtime 

I hope this helps everyone on there journey researching thread lift!:)

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician

Not very long

The thread lift fails after 3 to 6 months.  I put in many when they first came out and I subsequently refunded many patients and gave free facelifts to many others.  It was a horrible disappointment for all.

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift - good idea, poor result

Most plastic surgeons who tried the thread lifts have now abandoned them.  Patients are generally disappointed with the outcomes and there is virtually no long term advantage.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

I couldn't agree more - choose Threadlifts with caution

Hi Cutz,

You have received very thorough and excellent advice from all the Doctors here.

I just wanted to add that in my experience I have seen more dissatisfied than happy Patients who have had threadlifts. I personally do not offer them to my Patients.

I do not wish to make a generalized statement on threadlifts but would strongly advise you to have a thorough exam and consultation with a Board Certified Physician to make sure you have explored all your options (surgical and nonsurgical).

Thank you and Happy Holidays,

Dr. Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD

How Long Does the Thread Lift Last

It is important to maintain realistic expectations about the results of your thread lift. Given that it is non-surgical and involves no pain, recovery, or downtime, the results are relatively less long-lasting than those of a more invasive procedure. Generally speaking, results have the ability to last a few months (up to six) before they begin to taper out. Many patients opt in for additional treatments once results begin to fade, but this is by no means necessary.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does a Thread Lift Last?

A thread-lift lasts for several weeks to several months and has been largely abandoned as an offered procedure. The concept of facial elevation/ repositioning without tissue mobilization doesn't make anatomic sense and works very poorly in the real world

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of threadlifts

Hello there and thank you for your excellent question.

I have undertaken threadlifting with the original suture based threads which are heavy and permanent in the skin. I had relatively satisfied patients but to gain the lift the suture has to be close to the surface to catch the undersurface of the skin so I did feel a little uncomfortable and more recently have usually persuaded potential patients seeking thread lifts to opt for surgery instead as I know well what I can achieve for them. The other factor was that for example, in the UK we use Silhouette thread lifting and the cost made the overall procedure, particularly if lots of sutures were needed then the cost starts to catch up with the cost of a surgical face lift.

Since that time most companies have brought out absorbable threadlifts which therefore do not result in a permanent lift; I did wonder if there were problems with the permanently placed sutures to make the companies change to absorbable threads. However the costs remained high.

More recently other threadlifts have become available which allow a much cheaper threadlift (I use Elionce PDO threads which are also much easier to place with no puncture on the skin of the face) and then the cost / benefit / longevity ratio improves such that I do now offer it again with the advice that it will last 6 - 18 months which is realistic but with a price tag that allows many more patients to consider it as an repeat, affordable cost.

I hope that you found this answer helpful.

My very best wishes on your facial rejuvenation journey!

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon