How Long Does the Thread Lift Last?

14% Satisfaction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

14% is the satisfaction rate on this website from threadlifts, the lowest of any recorded category.

Comments from patients cover the gamut, from it didn't work, it didn't work long enough, facial distortion, extruding hooks, chronic pain, palpable lumps, etc. In our practice, we remove suture material from threadlifts on a weekly basis, usually while performing the facelift that patients needed initially.

Some patients do report seeing a benefit for a year, some for up to a year and a half. Some note immediate distortion and no results beyond a few months.

Why don't threadlifts accomplish the same as a facelift if they are pulling on the same tissues?

Strings placed through the tissues without any undermining tend to pull through the tissues. They do not hold up the way that undermined and fixated tissues do (i.e. during a facelift). An experienced facelift surgeon will require 20-40 sutures, placed directly in the deep tissues alone, to hold up the layer until it heals in a higher (and lifted) position. Strings are at a disadvantage because tissues are not undermined and only a few sutures are placed.

But this information is nothing new.

Patients should go into procedures with their eyes open to what the likely results are. Stringlifts do not produce facelift results.

Lifestyle lift, Thread lift....buyer beware

A thread lift or lifestyle lift is a procedure touted for fast recovery and cheaper alternative to a facelift.  If it sounds to good to be true it usually is.  The operation involves placing a barbed suture under the skin and using is to pull up and back the face or neck.  Eventually the sutures break, get infected or cause distortion and can be difficult to fix.  Surprisingly it is not that cheap either.  I do not perform these types of lifts as I have seen patients with complications but never seen a patient happy with the results.  

Not long enough!

The Threadlift was a novel idea but just didn't work in reality to justify what was a significant expense. At their best, they might have had a subtle benefit for a year but usually much less than that. For that reason, I am not aware of any real plastic surgeons who can offer proper surgeries and other treatments who still offer a Threadlift in their practices.

Not very long

The thread lift fails after 3 to 6 months.  I put in many when they first came out and I subsequently refunded many patients and gave free facelifts to many others.  It was a horrible disappointment for all.

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift - good idea, poor result

Most plastic surgeons who tried the thread lifts have now abandoned them.  Patients are generally disappointed with the outcomes and there is virtually no long term advantage.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

I couldn't agree more - choose Threadlifts with caution

Hi Cutz,

You have received very thorough and excellent advice from all the Doctors here.

I just wanted to add that in my experience I have seen more dissatisfied than happy Patients who have had threadlifts. I personally do not offer them to my Patients.

I do not wish to make a generalized statement on threadlifts but would strongly advise you to have a thorough exam and consultation with a Board Certified Physician to make sure you have explored all your options (surgical and nonsurgical).

Thank you and Happy Holidays,

Dr. Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD

Permanent versus absorbable threads

Thread lifting has a long history with both very beautiful results and happy patients mixed with poor results and dissatisfaction. Most of the latter stems from the use of permanent sutures and poor technique.

Most modern thread lifting utilizes absorbable sutures, which have many major benefits. These threads not only lift and support, but provide volume as they go away, creating a lift and fill effect. The risk of dimpling, an issue with the old thread lifts, is zero here as these are not providing a permanent pull. 

These modern thread lifts are best thought of like a filler. They will do their job for a year or two and then will need to be touched up, but the results in the meantime are beautiful.

Choosing your physician wisely here is key, as knowledge of normal facelift anatomy, tissue movement and technique is a highly valuable skill when placing these absorbable lifting threads.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties. Membership in organizations like the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery help to identify a highly trained surgeon.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

How Long Does a Thread Lift Last?

A thread-lift lasts for several weeks to several months and has been largely abandoned as an offered procedure. The concept of facial elevation/ repositioning without tissue mobilization doesn't make anatomic sense and works very poorly in the real world

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift | Does it work?

Threadlifts have had mixed reviews in the past. This can be partly attributed to the use of permanent sutures and inferior techniques back then. 

I find that Thread Lift, when combined with fillers and toxin, helps to improve an ageing face beyond what fillers and toxin can do.

Threads can be divided into absorbable and non absorbable sutures. The trend now is for absorbable sutures, of which we have PDO and PLLA.

Threadlift is a minimally invasive treatment, and it appeals to people because of this fact. 

After a threadlift procedure, it is best to wait for swelling to settle, which takes up to a month, before doing any further work.

PDO threads last 6 months to a year, while PLLA threads last longer. Both stimulate neocollagenesis, further tightening and firming your skin.

Of course, there can be side effects which may prompt patients to remove their threads.

In general, it is best to not remove absorbable threads unless there is a strong medical reason, for example infection. Skin irregularities will resolve with time so there is no need for thread removal.

Daniel Chang, MBBS
Singapore Physician

Thread Lift

Thank you for your question. I would not recommend getting Thread Lift as the effects are not long lasting. I recommend Silhouette InstaLift which uses absorbable sutures that dissolve over time and produce collagen. Please make sure you seek treatment from a board-certified dermatologist. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD