How Long Do Porcelain Veneers and Crowns Last?

My teeth have a yellow shade because of a wrong high dose antibiotic treatment I had as a child. I am now 43 and after many years thought I could give myself shiny bright teeth as a present. There is nothing wrong with the shapes of my teeth. The doctor I consulted said whitening would not work for my problem and porcelain would be the answer. Unfortunately I don't remember what he suggested exactly but he said this porcelain on my front teeth would have to be renewed every 10 years. As the best quality treatment cost around 20,000 USD!!! (I'd try to go with the best) renewing this every 10 years is out of the question. Is it really necessary to renew? How long do porcelain veneers and crowns last?

How Long Will Porcelain Veneers and Porcelain Crowns Last?

The short answer is that properly done porcelain veneers and crowns usually last a very long time!

They are like a car, how long your car lasts depends on what type of car your purchased, how well it was maintained, did you follow through and have all your routine services done, in what conditions do you drive it, how many miles do you drive every year, and did you get into any automobile accidents. 

How good was the dentist who placed the veneers?  What kind of material did he use?  How good was the ceramist who actually made the veneers?  What kind of bonding protocol did he use?  Do you grind or clench your teeth?  If so, do you wear a night guard?  Have you ever fallen or gotten a traumatic blow to your teeth?  Have you ever eaten a soft meal and while chewing found something very hard (like a nut) and unexpected when you bit down to chew?

I have many patients who are still wearing unbroken porcelain veneers for twenty years plus.  Now days with better materials and techniques, I'm expecting that many of my porcelain veneers may last even a lifetime.  However, there is no dentist who can guarantee that the veneers they placed will last a lifetime, but that certainly is our goal.  Again, the short answer is that properly done porcelain veneers should last a very long time provided you don't have an accident with them.

Regarding porcelain crowns, we can expect the same.  Actually porcelain crowns may last longer than porcelain veneers, but the downside of porcelain crowns vs. porcelain veneers is that the latter requires more drilling and tooth preparation than with porcelain veneers.

Now, let's look at worst case scenario.  You had ten porcelain veneers placed ten years ago and then one day you broke a single porcelain veneer.  Do you have to replace all ten?  Certainly not!  Just replace the one that broke.  The same applies to porcelain crowns.

When I hear stories of patients who have had porcelain veneers or porcelain crowns placed that only lasted a few years I usually think to myself, why did they fail?  Most common reason is they bit down on something very hard.  Second most common reason is that they grind or clench their teeth, and this habit puts double the load on the veneers or crowns.  Another reason is the material used.  Back in the 1980s feldspathic veneers were the material of choice, actually the only material.  Then a decade later pressed ceramic (Empress porcelain) was introduced that was much stronger and lasted longer.  Today the material of choice for our practice is EMax porcelain, which is incredibly strong and long lasting and we expect to supersede all of the other materials done in years earlier by many years.

Laguna Niguel Dentist

Porcelain veneers & crowns usually last 10-20 years

Most people unfortunately think that any dental work they are having done will last their whole lifetime. I'm glad that your dentist had a frank discussion with you about realistic longevity of dental work. That being said, there are a number of factors that determine how long you can expect your work to last. If you are happy with the shape and setup of your teeth, I would always start with bleaching first.  Many products now are formulated to help with tetracycline stained teeth and the worst case scenario is that they don't get quite as white as you'd like! Start there, see where you end up and then you can always do more if need be.

Gerilyn Alfe, DMD
Chicago Dentist

Porcelain veneers: Longevity

I would have to agree that on the average, porcelain veneers last about 10 years.  I have done some that are fine after 20 years, and often the reason for replacing them is cosmetic.  Sometimes the gum recedes and you can see a darker root surface above the veneer close to the gumline.  Other times the veneers lose their vitality and become a bit dull from years of coffee, red wine and other things that can stain them over the long run. (Although for the most part, high quality porcelain veneers are very stain resistant, even more so than your natural tooth.

Dr.Steven Goldy

Steven Goldy, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

How long do porcelain veneers and crowns last?

This is a difficult question to answer since there are so many variables, but the materials and tooth preparation that we use now is much better than what was used just 10 years ago.  I believe that well placed and constructed veneers can last 10 to 20 (or more) years.  The materials are durable and the work fits much more accurately as well.

Joel Klasfeld, DDS
New York Dentist

Veneers

Antibiotic staining is a common problem and the only real solution to mask this would be with porcelain since the staining is internal and not external. Porcelain veneers done well can last 15+ years. It really depends how well they are taken care of! Definitely go in for your regular cleanings, careful with chewing on hard objects, and if youre a grinder, get a nightguard.

Victoria Veytsman, DDS
New York Dentist

Zoom Teeth Whitening: Expect excellent results to last for many years to come.

In my practice, I regularly have patients who have had their first set of porcelain veneers for 10, 20, even 30 years or more.

Hope that helps.

James Asaf, DDS

James Asaf, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

How long do Veneers last

We generally will tell patients 7-10 years, but really I see them last much longer in patients that take good care of them with proper oral hygiene and routine cleanings. Also, wearing a biteguard will minimize stress on them and allow for greater longevity.

Anjali Rajpal, DMD
Beverly Hills Dentist

In the 26 years of doing cosmetic dentistry, seeing the generations that have come across in my office. Obviously we have treated many patients with tetracycline staining or antibiotic induced staining. Definitely we can get some reasonably good results with deep bleaching. There are now materials that do a very good job. Yet it does not give us the absolute beauty and coverage that we can get from porcelain veneers or porcelain crowns. So I still for those very dark cases I still recommend that we look at porcelain coverage.

Amanda Canto, DDS
Houston Dentist

Porcelain Veneers vs Deep Bleaching

Porcelain veneers may not be your only choice.  If you like the shape of your teeth and the only thing to correct is color, ask about Kor Deep Bleaching.  We have had good results with teeth that are darker. If you achieve the color you desire, their is minimal upkeep and you will not have to have veneers replaced every 10 years!

How long to Veneers Last

This is an excellent question. The answer is "it depends." The research says that veneers last an average of 8-15 years. Most dentists round this number to every 10 years which is accurate.

Sometimes the veneers can last longer than 10 years but cosmetically they become unsightly. 

I have patients in my office that had veneers done over 25 years ago and they still look pretty good.

There are several things you can do to prolong the life of the veneers.

1) Wear a protective nightguard every night to prevent grinding and chipping the veneers

2) Visit your dentist on a regular basis for checkups

3) Brush and Floss your teeth 2-3 times per day, avoiding abrasive toothpastes

4) Avoid habits such as nail biting, or ice chewing.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Dentist