Why is my vein still dark and bumpy after sclerotherapy? When will I see results?

I had sclerotherapy exactly 2 weeks ago on a small varicose vein behind my knee. I followed doctors orders exactly afterward, but my vein is still dark and when I touch it, it's bumpy in parts. My doctor said it would only take one treatment. Will it improve? Is this the end result? When will I see final results? Why is it still dark and bumpy?

Thank you for your question in regards to sclerotherapy. Depending on the size of the vein, it may be possible to have developed some trapped blood which would need to be drained and is common with larger veins. It is also too early to notice full results, especially if the vein was large. To be sure whats best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Bumps following sclerotherapy

The size of the vein will likely determine the amount of time needed for your body to absorb the vein.  The bigger the vein is, the longer the amount of time necessary for the body to absorb the shut-down vein.

Cynthia Steimle, MD
Hoffman Estates General Surgeon

Post sclerotherapy problems.

Following sclerotherapy blood can accumulate in the treated veins.  The larger the vein the greater the chance of trapped blood.  This appears to be what has occurred with you and it is a normal finding.  This can easily be treated by draining the clotted blood with a small needle with a little local anesthesia.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Retained coagulum after sclerotherapy

You most likely have developed superficial vein thrombophlebitis after sclerotherapy and the retained coagulum (dark, old blood) may be to be drained with a single puncture would. I recommend that you contact the treating physician for an in person examination and evaluation with Duplex venous scanning.

Dr Karamanoukian