Can I cut the foot off the compression stocking?

Thank you to Dr Landi for answering my previous question. One more please.. Can I cut the foot off the compression stocking so that I can walk barefoot on the beach? My sclero was done in the upper calf..

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question in regards to sclerotherapy. Cutting off the foot of your compression hose is not typically recommended. If cut, the compression loses its grade of support and could also cause swelling. I would suggest open toe stockings at least so your toes can be out. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Compression hose.

Compression hose work best when the compression begins just below the toes and then continues up the leg.  If you cut off the foot portion and start the compression from the ankle, you may cause swelling of your feet.  Why not get to sets of hose so that you can cut one to walk on the beach and then use the other when not on the beach?

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

There are open toe compression stockings

The short answer is yes, even though the stockings may lose their integrity if you cut part of it off.

Dr Karamanoukian

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo Phlebologist