Do I have to have someone with me after I have smart lipo?

I'm thinking about going to Atlanta to get smart lipo but I don't have anyone to go with me. I would be traveling from Texas but not sure I will be out of it and if I can trust a uber or taxi to get me back to my hotel. I wish they had a recovery house, nurse or something. What do y'all think? Will be using Dr Windell Davis-Boutte.

Have someone escort you home

Thanks for your question. Our office has a recovery room where a patient may lay back for up to 30 minutes. However, in most cases, it’s recommended for the patient to have someone escort them home. This varies from patient to patient. You always want to ask the doctor prior to your surgery.

Thank you for your question. For any surgery safety comes first. In our practice we recommend to have a responsible adult with the patient first 24 hrs. Every practice is different please talk to your PS

Recovering alone after lipo is dangerous and reckless

I don't allow patients to recover alone in the first 24 hours because that's when you're most likely to encounter events that would require a responsible adult to help you out. Discharging you from surgery under the effects of drugs into the hands of a random taxi driver is not an option. You need a responsible adult companion. Whether it be to call 911 or aid you in other ways, it's something you should not do without. I would contact a visiting nurse service.

Smartlipo

I sure would. For our out-of-state patients we use a local motel and the doctor might have something like that available. He may also use a jitney service. This will also depend on the volume that's being removed. check back with your doctor or his patients coordinator and they should be able to answer these questions for you. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo

You definitely will need someone to supervise you for the first 24 hours to help assist you with eating, going to the bathroom and taking your medications as you will still be out of it from the sedation medication. You will also want someone there for the first 24 hours to keep an eye on you in case any complications arise, if your doctor does not provide a nurse sitter then I would highly recommend finding a friend or family member who can join you. It is risky to go without any supervision and assistance right after your surgery. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo

Thank you for your question. Yes, you need to have somebody with you for your first 24 hours after surgery to help you. You should discuss the arrangement details with your surgeon's practice. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Smart Lipo

Adverse events, though rare, often occur within the first 24 hours after the procedure. You would want someone to be with you in case you have any issues post-operatively. You may consider hiring a medical assistant or nurse to be available for you during that time period. There are many qualified surgeons in the Texas area and although Houston has some higher prices for procedures, you may find a qualified surgeon in the San Antonio area with more affordable pricing...at least you're closer to home. Good luck!

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

I find vaser to be much more effective than smartlipo, and I have both.  but the technique of the physician is most important.  Also, we have nursing services for all of our patients and you should go to someone who caters to travel in patients.  Best, Dr. Emer.