Should I remove or keep my nipple rings in during the procedure?

I'm looking into BBL and I know spectrum aesthetics offers 12 areas for a good price. I have nipple rings and I had them about 10 months now do I have to take them out or I can just used the plastic kinds I have the steel kinds in now

Piercings and Plastic Surgery

To maximize your safety all piercings must be removed. This is done to lower the risk of burns when cautery is used and allow full cleaning with surgical soap.  Having piercings out for s few hours will not result in closure of the tunnels. 
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Nipple rings

Thank you for your question.  For most surgeries, jewelry is to be removed prior to going into the operating room.  Certain surgeries, your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon may allow you to wear plastic jewelry or may even allow it you to keep your metal jewelry in place.  Please contact your surgeon's office and ask them their protocol for during surgery. Good luck.

Rings in during procedure

Greetings. For safety concerns, it would be best to remove the rings prior to the the procedure. This is to prevent any injury from occurring.  Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Patient Safety

Thank you for your question. It is for the patient's safety that all jewelry is removed prior to surgery. This can be caught or snagged on a number of things during surgery or recovery. It is best to take them out for the time of the surgery and the initial recovery time. By 10 months you should not have to worry about the holes closing up and you'll be able to put them back in shortly after surgery. Discuss with your surgeon what they would suggest. Hope this helps,Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

Remove piercings for surgery

it is a standard practice to require removal of jewelry and piercings before surgery.  This is done for patient safety.  It is possible for piercings to get caught and tear and for metal objects to cause burns if cautery is being used. Most plastic surgeons will have no trouble removing and replacing piercings. If cautery isn't going to be used and the piercings aren't in the operative field, they can be taped over to protect them. 

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon