How long after a tummy tuck can I go scuba diving?

I had my procedure on October 27 I also had bbl. I'm going on vacation in mid January to Puerto Rico. I would like to go jet skiing and do all the fun water activities. Is there anything I shouldn't do?

Tummy tuck and scuba

Hello and thank you for your question. You had your procedure on Oct 27 so this means that if you go on this vacation in mid Jan you will be a little bit less than 3 months out from your surgery. For my patients, I tell them that they can start to slowly work up to their normal exercise routine after 6 weeks but that they cannot do any ab exercises. I tell my patients that ab exercises and "core" exercises are ok to do 3 months after surgery. But even then, this is a guideline. Everyones body heals differently so I tell people that if they do a certain activity and feel like it wasnt right then they should avoid that activity for a few more weeks. 

As my colleagues have mentioned, you should definitely ask your plastic surgeon what his recommendations are because only he knows exactly what was done. However, so soon after TT I personally would tell my patients to avoid high impact, potentially injurious activities. Just think about things before you do them....you prob spent a lot of money for your surgery and spent a lot of time in recovery so you should careful for a couple more weeks so that your results are healed and solidified. 

However, if I had a patient who was almost 3 months out and appeared to be completely healed without any open areas then I would probably say ok to scuba diving because that is not high impact and is pretty low key. However, once again, follow the directions of your plastic surgeon! Hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

I would not allow a patient to be submerged in water until I was absolutely positive that the incision was healed.  This will take from 6 weeks to 3 months.  

As another plastic surgeon noted:

Its best to ask your plastic surgeon. 

It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

Activities After Tummy Tuck

You should get this answer from your plastic surgeon because some of the advice depends on the particulars of your surgery and recovery.  I like to be sure there are no open spots before letting patients get in salt water, and  I want to be sure your muscle repair is well-healed before activities like jet skiing and zip lining. At 3 months, you'll likely be ready to go but ask your plastic surgeon for sure. 

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Congratulations on your new look!! 4 months from surgery should be free and clear for any physical activity as long as you don't have any wound healing issues. Be sure to follow your plastic surgeons recommendations as far as scar management to ensure the best result possible. Good Luck!

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

Its best to ask your plastic surgeon.  I generally clear my tummy tuck patients to resume activity as tolerated six weeks from the date of surgery.  Best wishes.

The answer is "probably" at this point. Only your surgeon can give you the answer since he has the knowledge of exactly what was done during the procedure and how your healing is going. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your tummy tuck surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a tummy tuck so you should be fine to participate in water sports by January, 2017.  It is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck in your recovery.

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure;  your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed.   

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications/swelling and ensure proper healing. It may be 2-4 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase or activity level. The especially careful as you progress to potentially "dangerous" activities such as scuba diving. Best wishes.