Can I have edible marijuana after a tummy tuck and bbl?

My doctor already told me I shouldn't smoke, which I understand but can I still get stoned

Marijuana

Great question! 

In the future we may see edible marijuana or THC pills as an adjunct to postoperative treatment for pain control. But for now, Anecdotal evidence and a small amount of research literature demonstrates the risk for low blood pressure during the operative procedure due to inhibiting the fight or flight response system in the body.  There's also a risk for lowering the blood pressure too far if you mix THC with narcotics, benzodiazepines, or alcohol in the  early post op period.    I would recommend to NOT combine edible marijuana with other narcotics or other postoperative medication for pain. 

I wish you well through your recovery process, 

James S McAdoo DO FACOS, 

AOA board-certified plastic/reconstructive surgeon, AOA board certified general surgeon, BBL specialist 

Interesting question...

There's no way to give you an accurate answer, but the use of medical marijuana in the treatment of surgical pain is very intriguing.  In Ohio, medical use was just approved in treatment of chronic pain but only if it is eaten or vaped.  Personally, I would think that edible marijuana would be fine, even right after surgery, but I can't tell you that for sure.  There will be some research in to it in the upcoming years so that we can give a better opinion. Be honest with your surgeon about it. I don't recommend mixing it with any other pain killer.  Be careful and good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I would not recommend it as long as you are taking any other medications after surgery.  It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Please discuss this question with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

You should discuss what medications, supplements, and vitamins you are taking, both prescription and over the counter, with your plastic surgeon and have him or her decide what you should and should not be taking. Your surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).

Robert Singer, MD  FACS 

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Medication prescription

Only your doctor, after history and physical examination, and surgery is able to answer your questions regarding and prescribing medication.