Can Kybella be used to remove jowls? (photos)

I have jowls on my face due to age along with a slight double chi. Can Kybella remove them? Approximately how many treatments would be needed?

Kybella & jowls

Kybella is only approved for treating the pocket of fat under the chin. Based on your photos, I don't think that it will deliver the results that you want. You have skin laxity that can only be corrected surgically with a face/neck lift.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Jowls

Kybella and other injectables may reduce fat in the jowls if it exists there. It has not been approved for this  Skin quality and looseness should be evaluated prior to treatment.  Deoxycholate injections are painfull and produce swelling for up to two weeks. Considering that injections yield 15-20% reduction in submental fat, other options may be more desireable. 

Please use this information when consulting in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Kybella for jowls

Thank you for your question.  Kybella is FDA-approved for the submental area (under the chin).  You are good candidate for surgical intervnetion and please seek out a plastic surgeon in your area. Best of luck.  

Kybella not for jowls

Thanks for the question.  Kybella is FDA approved for submental area only.  That being said, many people are using it off label already all over the place.  I would be careful about that though since Kybella has not been out that long.  Also, based on your photos I think you may need a neck/face lift at this point to get the kind of correction you are looking for. 

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Kybella and other treatments

Thank you for your question. Kybella is an injectable for the submental fullness and is the only non-invasive treatment for the reduction of “double chins”. To remove your jowls or other areas besides the submental region you can consider other treatments such as ThermiTight or SmartLipo. If interested, it’s best to have a full in-person consultation with a qualified physician. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella

Kybella is FDA-approved for the submental area (under the chin). Based on the photos, you may be a good candidate for ThermiTight and/or neck liposuction.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Albany, NY Plastic Surgeon says NO- Kybella won't give you the result you want and can cause injury

Kybella can not be used to define your lateral jawline since it may injure the marginal mandibular nerve- which supplies the muscles that  lower your lower lip.....causing paralysis.

Kybella only targets your double chin fat.

A lower face and neck lift with or without liposuction, will be better suited to define your jawline. Seek a detailed consultation with a BC plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic medicine and member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) for the best advice and recommendations on what will fit your needs.  Hope this helps and best of luck!

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Jowls NYC

Unfortunately it appears that you have too much skin laxity for Kybella since it really is indicated for submental fat. I would consider a skin tightening procedure such as Thermage or a neck lift as well.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Kybella

Hi ilanna55. Thanks for your question. Kybella is FDA approved for the submental (under the chin) area. Kybella cannot be used for the jowls since there is a nerve that runs near the jowls that is at risk. Kybella is best for patients with mild to moderate fat underneath the chin area, without any significant skin laxity. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella indications

Thanks for sharing.  Kybella is FDA approved non invasive injection to reduce submental fat.  It is not currently FDA approved for the jowls. Kybella I feel works best with mild to moderate submental fat.  If there is too much fat or skin laxity then liposuction and neck lifting would be the more appropriate treatment modality. Best of luck.

Raymond E. Lee, MD