Will Kybella give me a chiseled jaw line?

I have very little fat underneath my jawline and chin. But I would like it to be super taught, like some people in film. I was wondering if Kybella is a possible solution. Even if it just takes a tiny bit of the fat away, I think it would make me look even better because I already have very little fat there to begin with.

The factors that contributed to under the chin and jawline appearance, how Kybella works, and other treatments for these areas

Thank you for your question. You’d like to know if Kybella can reduce fat under the chin in order to achieve a very taut and chiseled jawline and chin.

First some information about myself — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. A large part of my practice is focused mainly on facial aging, and enhancing the appearance and definition of the jawline and chin is a part of that, so I can certainly give you some guidance on this modality.

In my practice, the first step towards helping patients achieve a more crisp-looking jawline is to determine whether there is a presence of excess fat under the chin. One of the issues that was brought about by the introduction of Kybella is the perception that everything undesirable about one’s chin is due to excess fat, which is simply not true.

The appearance of one’s chin is influenced by a variety of factors. One of these factors includes the position of the hyoid bone, which is the bone under the chin. When the hyoid bone is low, it shortens the angle between the chin and the neck, which causes the jawline to look less defined. Other factors also include skin tension — whether or not there is relative laxity of the skin — and skin thickness, in addition to excess skin.

When I first examine someone, I look at all the aforementioned factors: skin quality, skin tone, and their overall anatomy in general. When patients insist on removing as much fat as possible to achieve this very tight and defined look, I try to make them understand that fat isn’t completely the enemy here. In fact, a certain amount of fat under the skin provides a youthful quality to the skin.

Before the introduction of lasers in the field of cosmetic surgery, many of our colleagues believed that if you aggressively suction away fat, skin will retract and contract and lend more definition to the patient’s features. Many patients received good results with this type of approach, but in cases when too much fat was removed, the skin looked irregular, rippled, and aged. There is certainly some importance to leaving a thin layer of fat under the skin in order to have a smooth and natural look. If you look at younger people, you’ll notice that one of the things that make them look youthful is this nice plump volume that their skin has.

Kybella is a deoxycholic acid that basically digests fat. It is FDA-approved for use under the chin, but of course, doctors can use it for off-label purposes as well. It is important to point out that there has been some hesitancy among many of my colleagues who have had experience using this material, mostly due to the fair amount of inflammation that occurs after the treatment. It is also important to know that Kybella requires multiple treatments.
There are other modalities that can address the chin and jawline. There are options such as liposuction, which can be done with a syringe and can reduce and improve the jawline, which can be done in one treatment that takes less than an hour. There is also a non-surgical fat reduction procedure that makes use of a laser. In this procedure, the skin is heated in a way that allows the laser to penetrate through the skin, reduce the fat, and cause some skin tightening — and that’s done with or without superficial ablation. With all these alternatives, I often wonder where Kybella fits in all of this. It may be possible that Kybella is simply used by practitioners who cannot or do not offer the other modalities.

Before moving on with any treatments, I advise you meet with a qualified and experienced surgeon who can offer you both non-surgical and surgical options. A proper evaluation is crucial. For example, sometimes a patient feels like they just need some excess fat removed from under the chin. As part of my evaluation, I will often lift the skin for them to see whether the issue really is excess fat. Many times, when the skin is redraped, the patient will see that their chin suddenly looks better and that they’re more of a candidate for a facelift rather than liposuction under the chin or Kybella. It is certainly important to establish this first.

Another thing to remember is when you talk about that chiseled jawline you see on celebrities and in films, you have to understand that most of the time, these actors or models are chosen because they already have a genetically crisp or strong jawlines that register well on camera. In some situations, it’s simply due to strategic lighting effects and makeup. So it’s important to understand that yes, we want to try to aspire to look our best, but we can’t all necessarily look the same. We have to look the best we can, with what we have, for ourselves.
I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Kybella to improve jawline definition

Thank you for your question calitigerboy. Kybella is the first and thus-far only FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. It is difficult to make an assessment without photographs. However some people enjoy an improved jawline after a series of Kybella treatments. Combining other treatments may helps as well.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Kybella to improve jawline definition

Kybella for Chiseled Jaw Line

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to give you an answer with seeing a photograph. However, Kybella is an excellent way to remove fat from the area under the chin.  It is the only injection FDA approved for this area. In my experience I have noticed Kybella helps tighten the skin a little a bit. If you want your skin super tight then you might want to consider surgery such as, a face lift. I recommend having a consultation with an expert to determine the best treatment plan for you.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Kybella for Chiseled Jaw Line

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Kybella

Without a photo or seeing you in person, hard to say if Kybella will deliver the results that you want, but it is designed to dissolve the pocket of fat right under the chin. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss whether or not the expense is worth it to you. Given that fact that you don't have a lot of fat, you may be able to get away with just one treatment.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kybella

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kybella Melts Chin Fat, Can "Clean Up" Jawline

If you do have a little fat under your chin, you would probably be a good candidate for Kybella, which not only dissolves fat but also can slightly tighten the skin. This could result in the sleeker looking jawline you desire. Whether this would be sufficient to give you the results you want is impossible to determine without an in-person consultation. You may also require skin tightening with Thermi or even benefit from facial liposuction. Please find a board-certified dermatologist with expertise in Kybella injection, who can evaluate your anatomy and determine the best treatments for you.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella and chiseled jaw line

Without seeing your photos, it is hard to tell whether or not kybella is the right treatment for you. Kybella melts fat under the chin and can cause some retraction of the skin.  If fat is not really your issue, skin tightening with Thermi Tight, may give you the more chiseled  jaw line that you desire.  I recommend that you consult with a physician who is familiar with both procedures.

Kybella and chiseled jaw line

Kybella results

It is difficult to give you a recommendation without seeing a picture or examining you in person. It is possible that Kybella is exactly what you need to get rid of that little bit of extra fat and define your jaw line. However, some patients are not candidates for Kybella and would get better results from liposuction or a neck lift. I recommend you consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can recommend what is best for you. 

Kybella results

Kybella vs lipo

Thanks for sharing.  Kybella treats the double chin or the fullness directly under the chin. It is a series of simple injections. To treat along the jawline, liposuction would likely be the better alternative as it treats the lateral neck and lower jowls to further sculpt the jawline. Consult with a surgeon experienced with lipo and kybella to review your options. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Kybella vs lipo

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Chiseled Jaw Line

Thank you for your question.  Kybella is an excellent way to remove fat from the area underneath the chin.  As a result of this fat removal, the overlying skin certainly can appear tighter.  I wouldn't counsel you that you will get a 'chiseled' jaw line, but certainly will help give more definition and reduce this fullness under the chin.  

I would recommend you consult with a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who specializes in injections in the face.  

I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chiseled Jaw Line

I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Kybella give you a chiseled jawline?

Thanks for your question. Kybella is a great in office procedure to remove sub mental fat. It is the only FDA approved injection for this area. If the fat under your chin is preventing you form having your ideal jawline, then Kybella is for you. I recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has some experience with Kybella to examine you and discuss your best options. Liposuction might be an option as well to help with jaw sculpture. A plastic surgeon would help you with these options. All the best.