Have had two treatments of kybella but Not seeing any change. I did bring it up to the dr & he says I just need a third treatmen

he said that he did not need to and it was used by less skilled injectors?! He injected 2 vials at both sessions w/ 6 shots. Whole treatment took 2mins. Reviews here received the tattoo and about 25 injection sites. I don't have a huge amount of fat on chin. I am pretty fit. I thought that w 2 treatments, I would see a huge difference by now.! Doesn't make sense to me and just something doesn't feel right..thoughts? Advice ?

Hello Katherinexox,

It can take up to 4 treatments to reach your maximum effect with Kybella.  Most patients will receive 2 vials at a given session, especially if you don't have that much fat.  It takes about 6 weeks after each treatment for the results of that treatment to be completely noticed.  Each injection site is 1 centimeter (about half an inch) from the other which is why patients will receive about 20 injections per treatment.  It would not be common to have only had 6 injections with 2 vials.  The other key factor with Kybella is choosing the proper patient.  The results can be impressive but in others they may be more subtle.  

I would recommend you follow up with your injector to discuss your continued concerns, knowing that it may take another 2 treatments to get to your final result.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Injections Results

Kybella and other injectable fat dissolvers require at least 3-5 treatment sessions.  The recommended injection technique facilitates equal distrilbution of solution, making it simpler for the less skilled injector but resulting in more needle sticks with their associated pain and risk of infection.
Physicians with more experience develop skills which may be superior to the manufacturor's reccommendation, especially in such a common procedure as subcutaneous injection.
Questioning the effectiveness of a product which is not guaranteed is more useful than The Doctor's technique.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Two treatments already

Thanks for the question. The tattoo is just to make it easier for us to inject. It places a grid onto the proposed area of treatment, so that the injections are evenly distributed. That being said, you do not need to use the tattoo if you know what you are doing and can accurately space out the injections. I am a bit concerned that only 6-10 injections were given. This would be an unusually small area. An average treatment usually involves 20-25 injections sites. Also, sometimes the first treatment does not give a noticeable change and a second treatment might be recommended.

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Albany NY Plastic Surgeon says Kybella won't work if it is not injected properly- about 20 injections per treatment

If what you say is true, you have had an inadequate treatment by an inexperienced doctor.  You can't get a good result with Kybella if it is not injected properly.  However it may take 3 or more treatments to reach a plateau of a  result even when it is injected per manufacturers instructions.

My recommendation- Seek a detailed second opinion consultation with a BC plastic surgeon specializing in cosmetic medicine and member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) for the best advice and recommendations on what will fit your needs. It sounds as though your doctor is either poorly trained,inexperienced, and/or is not following the directions for how to administer Kybella.

Hope this helps and Best of luck! 

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Treatments and NYC

It can take anywhere from 2 to 5 treatments depending on the submental area to dissolve the fat under the chin.  Sometimes it takes more treatments and cannot be predicted.  I would agree that you need another treatment and you should review the procedure again with your physician.  The Cool mini applicator also works very well for reducing the fat under the chin. Best, Dr. Green

Have had two treatment of Kybella and don't see a difference.

Sorry to hear your story and this is precisely why I don't do Kybella injections. Because sometimes you need up to six treatment to see results. I can give  the patient the results they desire with a small syringe liposuction under local anesthesia in 30 minutes with less than one week recovery and all in one session for a lesser cost. Did your doctor discuss this alternative with you? 

No Change

Thank you for your question.  In general, you should see results from Kybella anywhere from 2-4 treatments.  I have seen dramatic results with some of my patients even after one treatment.  I would recommend to look at your before and after photos with your surgeon to determine how much improvement has been achieved.  If you are not seeing any or much change, I may not have a third treatment.  Without seeing you in person, it would be difficult for me to know how much fat you have under the chin.  If the issue under your chin is simply loose skin/muscle, for example, you will not see much improvement with Kybella.

Be sure to consult with a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who specializes in injections in the face.  I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Seeing your changes after Kybella

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your current results. Without seeing any photos it's difficult to comment on how many treatments you may need. As a rule, I tell patients that they will need at least 3 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart to see their results with Kybella. Most patients need 4 or 5; some need 2. The number of treatments is all based on the amount of submental fat that is initially present, and on patient's ultimate desire. Kybella does take some time to work - the inflammatory process can last for a couple of weeks to a month. If you are not at least 6 weeks out from your last treatment, continue to be patient. I do have to say, however, that typically the number of injection spots in my patients ranges from 18-24. I will use 2 vials per patient and space them evenly per the grid. Hang in there - the treatment, if administered correctly, does work well. Best of luck! 

Kybella sessions

Thank you for your question. For optimal results with Kybella, most people need an average of 2-4 sessions at 1 month intervals. Also, everyone’s body reacts differently to the treatment which can affect the number of treatments required for your desired results. Please consult with your qualified physician for follow-up and additional sessions.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Thanks for your question. For optimal results, 2-4 treatments are recommended. Hopefully, your provider took "before" photos to compare them to your "after" results. You should notice slight or a full difference after two treatments of Kybella, but there may be some visible swelling after the Kybella treatments.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS