Is Coolsculpting for the neck painful?

I am very interested in doing Coolsculpting on my neck but am very worried about the pain. I've never considered plastic surgery or any kind of procedure until I recently read about Coolsculpting and became interested. I've read that it is not painful but after reading more and more reviews, it seems like people suffer immense pain especially from abdomen treatments (maybe the pain is only from those?) Has anyone tried the neck treatment? Is there pain the days following the treatment?

CoolSculpting at Submentum

From my experience with patients that have had treatments at the chin area, they have reported minimal discomfort. There is normally a small degree of swelling and tenderness post treatment, but it is very tolerable. There is no downtime and patients are able to go back to their usual routine immediately after the treatment. During the treatment, you may experience slight pulling and tightness from the suction of the applicator. The treatment is 45 minutes long per cycle, and once the cycle is completed, there will be a brief 2 minute massage of the treated area. The treated area will be temporarily red for about an hour or so and there may be slight bruising from the suction of the applicator that tends to resolve rather quickly. The treatment is quick, easy, and effective.

Yes, the Coolsculpting procedure can be effective for the submental area of the upper neck. The FDA recently approved the CoolMini applicator for this problem. Most patients describe discomfort, but not really a very painful procedures for most.  You really do need to go in to be assessed by an experienced plastic surgeon who can properly discuss the full range of surgical and nonsurgical options with you during an in person consultation.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

CoolSculpting for the neck is not painful

Answer: Coolsculpting of the neck or submental area may be a little more uncomfortable because it is a sensitive area. Generally, no additional pain medication is required. Motrin or Advil is usually sufficient.

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

There are many options for double chin/neck fat. I find that liposuction is best has the lowest downtime compared to kybella or coolmini.  I suggest you see a physician who can consult you on all the treatment options.  If you want contouring of the neck, there is no way any non invasive device can give you the full results.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting The Neck

The CoolMini CoolSculpting applicator is used to treat the double chin area. Because it is a smaller area there is no significant discomfort like there can be with the abdominal treatments. It can be effective in appropriate candidates whose double chins are mainly due to fat accumulation and not sagging skin. For best results 2-3 treatments are needed. If you are concerned about your entire neck and have more loose skin than fat then there are other options including ThermiTight and Ultherapy which may be more appropriate. You will need an in-person consultation and evaluation to determine which treatment is most appropriate for you. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

No, its not painful for the neck

While patients who have the large applicator applied to the abdomen can suffer some intense cramps, the submental applicator does not cause this level of pain.  The submental treatment of coolsculpting can be a little closterphobic, but overal does not hurt.  Some patients experience some mild soreness and bruising afterwards.  it is probably the most benign treatment of this area, that is verses liposuction or kybella.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting on the neck

Thank you for your question and for sharing your concerns.  I have found that Coolsculpting on the neck is more tolerable than on some of the other body regions, both during and after the treatment.  I have also found, that it is much more important to stabilize the head/neck during the treatment as the suction used on the neck is lower and I need a more sophisticated stabilizing apparatus to support the applicator.  So one has to be fairly still for the one hour treatment time.

Neck fat

Submental neck fat can be treated in many ways:

1. Neck lift
  2. Face/neck lift
  3. Neck liposuction
  4. Coolsculpting to the neck
  5. Kybella to the neck
All of these modalities are available, the first 3 involve surgery and the last 2 are non surgical.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine which choice is the best for you.  The price, recovery, anesthesia, and pain all vary for each procedure.  None of these choices are particularly painful.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon