Black dot / hole on incision line 3 weeks after donut lift (Photo)

After about 4 weeks post op this black dot appeared on my incision line and has been there now for several weeks which oozed out black today and left a hole. I moved out of state and can't get to my surgeon. Just for the record I didn't have any stitches removed because I had dissolvable stitches. Can someone tell me if I should be concerned enough to book a flight back to my doctor? Or is this something that will go away on its own?

Dissolvable stitch

It looks as if a scab has formed, probably over a spot where a dissolvable stitch hasn't quite dissolved. This can happen. If it doesn't resolve on its own, call your surgeon and see if there's a colleague in your area that you could see to remove the stitch. It will help the spot to heal faster. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Breast wound

Thanks for your inquiry. I recommend you call your surgeon and see if he/she has a collegue closer to you to be examined.  You might have an abdorbable stitch that needs to be removed for the wound to completely heal.  I receive a call from a colleague from out of state about 2 times a year to help out with a patient whi is now closer to me.  Good Luck.  

Donut breast lift - black dot on incision

Thank you for asking about your donut breast lift.
  • The photo suggests this is an internal suture that is surfacing as it dissolves.
  • I do not think you need to fly back to your surgeon -
  • Instead, send your surgeon the same photo you posted here. He knows what the sutures are.
  • If he feels you need to be seen, he may want you to see your primary care physician to remove the suture. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Scab on incision after breast lift

Thank you for your question.  You have a small scab over your incision, which can happen from time to time.  As long as there is no redness or drainage around the scab, it is likely healing just fine.  Occasionally a scab will form around a small absorbable suture and removing the suture (which is typically not needed at this point) will allow it to heal faster.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon