Can silicone breast implants be reused?

On april 23 2014 i had a mommy make over on may 8th my implants were removed due to infection. I have an apointment sept 10th to have my implants put back in. I questioned if implants can be reused the nurse said they resterilize them immediately in an autoclave and that im not the first person they have reused implants on. Is this safe to do?

Can Silicone Breast Implants Be Reused?

That's an interesting question!  I would say that once you have your silicone implants removed you should A. Leave them out or B. Replace them with brand new silicone implants!  The only thing that you should use your used silicone implants for is a paperweight for your desk!

Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Implants removed for infection should not be reused

I can honestly say I have never heard of this being done by a Plastic Surgeon.  The only time I would reuse an implant is if it is not infected and I remove it for a revision case and replace it during the same surgery. The implant manufacturer does not recommend sterilizing the implant and replacing it as it can damage the silicone.  I would seek another opinion. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Re-using removed,infected silicone implants

I highly recommend not to re-use the infected implants that they removed from you regardless if they were resterilized. This is not something I have ever done or would ever do or recommend to any of my patients.  The surgeon should be putting in brand new implants which are taken out of the sealed sterilized packaging at the time of your surgery.

Matthew Kaufman, MD
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Reusing implants

It's hard to believe someone would try to autoclave an infected implant in the country.  This is completely unsafe.  I'd stay away from this surgeon.  Practices such as these may have led to your infection in the first place.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Reusing previously infected implants

This would be very ill-advised in my opinion.  The implant manufacturers do not recommend re-sterilization of the implants.  You would be better served with just paying for a new pair of implants rather than risking more problems with repeat infection or implant integrity.  After all, it's your health and well being versus some money.  It should be an easy decision.  You should consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon about your options at this point.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Brand new implants

I have never heard of this being done and would suggest you have brand new implants put back in. It would not be recommended by any implant manufacturer.

Benjamin Norris, MbCHb, FRACS(Plast)
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Get new implants

If your implants have been removed and not replaced during the same surgery you should always have brand new implants. I've not heard of anyone doing this and doubt the manufacturer would approve of the practice. There's just no good reason for you to do this. I would seek another opinion.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

Reuse

Thank you for your question and I would use new implants in this situation though theoretically implants could be resterilized if it were done in the manner recommended by the manufacturer but I personally would not use then again. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast Implant

Breast implants is one time use only. They can not, should never be reused under any circumstances. This is one time I definitely will tell you to find a more knowledgeable plastic surgeon.

Reusing silicone breast implants

The only time that implants should be reused would be if you were undergoing some type of revisional surgery and your implants were temporarily removed during the course of the operation. Under these circumstances it would be reasonable to replace the same implants. This is providing that you do not have any evidence of infection at the time. It is a poor idea and against manufacturer's recommendations to replace resterilized implants during a second operation.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon