Sustained a nose injury and now trouble breathing. Deviated Septum?

I sustained an injury to my nose and thought it would be fine because there was no bleeding only swelling and tenderness but now after two months I feel a pressure on the bridge of my nose and can't breathe through my right nostril when I lay down on my side and also experience headaches if I don't elevate my head. What could this be?

Nasal injury

You certainly may have injured your nose causing these symptoms.  A deviated nasal septum may be the most likely cause, but there are others.  I recommend consultation with a board certified otolaryngologist or facial plastic surgeon to address your nasal breathing issues.

Dubuque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose and deviated septum

There are many issues inside the nose that can cause nasal obstruction, which include a deviated septum, twisted nasal bones, valve collapse, vestibular stenosis, allergies, turbinate hypertrophy, and chronic sinusitis.  Each one of these issues are treated differently with medications or surgery.   It is best to try medical management first before electing to undergo surgical intervention on the nose.  A thorough internal and external examination of the nose is required to make a determination about all the issues.  A broken nose needs to be re-set with osteotomies and a rhinoplasty procedure, while a deviated septum is repaired with a septoplasty procedure.  Both can be performed at same time under the same anesthetic with the same recovery period.  For more information and many examples of broken nose repair in our practice, please see the photo gallery below.