Can a compression garment actually cause more swelling?

I had liposuction about 2 months ago and wore a compression garment continuously for the first 3 weeks and it was fine. But then my doctor told me it would be ok to only wear it during the day and I could take it off at night. What I've noticed is my left side was still swelled up and very tender especially compared to the right. So instead of the faja I've been wearing a wrap around my stomach and it seems to be better less swelling...I see my doc next week fri again is this ok.

Right Garment to Wear after Liposuction

In my experience, measuring the patient accurately preoperatively and purchasing a garment made by a company specializing in post surgical compression wear is the best initial option. Although wearing the garment for at least 3 weeks is good, some patients will, for different reasons, have more prolonged swelling and wearing a garment  for a longer time can be helpful in these instances. Lymphatic drainage can also be helpful. Sleeping preferentially on one side may cause more swelling on the dependent side as well. Your physician should be able to help you sort out just what is going on. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Can compression garment cause more swelling?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

What you are doing sounds fine. It is possible the first garment didn't fit symmetrically and was looser on the side where you swelled up. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Sounds like you need an in person visit sooner than next week, why not on Monday see your chosen operative surgeon!