41, 3 kids, currently 100 kg. Is a body lift or tummy tuck a better option? (Photo)

I'm know I'm overweight ( currently 100 kg) i have trouble with rashes under my tummy apron, my gp suggested tummy tuck, feel like I'm in a circular hell of need to loose weight but severe painful rashes interfere with regular exercise I'm going to have lap band soon which will help reduce size of apron and make it physically easier to exercise but I'm starting to wonder if 1) can I have tummy tuck now or 2) tummy tuck or body lift ?

After Weight Loss procedures: which will be best

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is the best decision to make: lose weight before the Body lift. After losing a significant amount of weight, your apron will hang even more and your lower back will become saggier. So, then it will be the perfect moment to do a Lower body Lift which (in my hands) means: Circumferential Tummy Tuck, Pubic lift, lovehandle tightening and real buttocks lift. I complete the beautiful transformation with some liposuction to lower back.

You will be looking awesome after all.

Be encouraged.

Dr. Cardenas

Tummy tuck, lipo and BBL

Hi, thanks for sharing your concern and photos with us!

First I want to congratulate you for making this important decision. Deciding to get an aesthetic procedure to change your body and get a new life style is a big step!

Looking at your photos I might say that you´ll be a great candidate to get an entire back, waist and flanks liposuction, with BBL, and tummy tuck, this is because all the extra skin located in this areas plus your abdominal muscle needs to be repaired. Before all this, of course, you need to get a complete medical evaluation and laboratory exams to check everything is fine. For us your safety, always, is going to be first.

Have a great day!

Dr. JPG

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD

Extended tummy tuck or body lift

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. I would suggest that you at least have a tummy tuck that extends to your back with extensive liposuction. However, a full body lift is a better option for you. Preoperative visualization and surgical simulation with the Crisalix system may help with your decision. Any treatment plan should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation in person with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck! Best,

Jon Ver Halen, MD FACS Harvard educated plastic surgeon

Hello, Ethansmummy!

After evaluating your photos my recommendation would be a tummy tuck, you can get it done with your current weight, this procedure will help you to have a better quality of life and to lose weight faster.

Manuel Ventura Gonzalez, MD

Tummy Tuck vs Body Lift

Hi, I think you will find that following a successful lap band procedure you will lose alot of weight - alot of this weight loss will be from your mid-section. You will likely end up with more redundant "saggy" skin both at the front and more than likely around your flanks and lower back. You should not consider any body contouring procedure until you have lost your weight, achieved a stable weight for a few months and can then consider having the procedure. If you have significant redundancy of skin in your lower back, you would benefit from a body-lift procedure. Good luck!

Adrian Sjarif, MD
Wollongong Plastic Surgeon

Is a body lift or tummy tuck a better option?

Thanks so much for the opportunity to answer this question for you. I believe the Lap band surgery will lead to additional weight loss and create a different shape for your body. In turn, you may have additional skin excess that should be evaluated after your new weight has stabilized for at least 6 months. Once things are stable then get a evaluation for body lift versus tummy tuck. 

The decision to recommend a body lift will be dependent on whether the buttocks and outer thighs have sagged. If that is the case, then I think the body lift will be the better option. If your buttock and outer thigh does well and there is no sagging, then consider dealing with the skin folds in the front with an extended tummy tuck or Fleur-de-Lis tummyn tuck. 

Speak with certified plastic surgeons for best results. 

Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tummy surgery after weight loss

You should wait until you have lost weight after your lap band surgery, and after the weight is reduced, then I think it is likely you will need a body lift. If you have it done before the weight loss, then you are likely to need the surgery again. Good luck with the weight loss, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney

Wait Until After Lap Band Surgery

If you're going to have lap band soon, wait until you've completed that and adjusted to it. It's likely exercise will be easier for you as you adjust following that surgery, prior to consulting with plastic surgeons about tummy tucks and body lifts.

A tummy tuck would address excess skin and fat in your abdomen, while a body lift would address excess skin and fat from the abdomen, hips, outer thighs, and buttocks.

If you are still undecided about lap band, go ahead and consult with a board certified plastic surgeon now about your concerns and goals to know what surgical options might be available (without lap band surgery) to help you address your concerns and meet your goals.

Either way, a board certified plastic surgeon can help you figure out whether a tummy tuck or a body lift would better suit your during a consult.

Best wishes!

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Tummy tuck or wait

Hi there and thanks for posting.

Really good question. I know that this can be a very frustrating period, but trust me you are going about it in the right way.

For patients who struggle with weight loss, bariatric surgery can be a great option. I have treated many patients who have successfully lost significant amounts of weight and made incredible changes to their lives.

As hard and as far away as it sounds, most definitely you should wait until you have lost your weight prior to having any body contouring surgery. Experience tells me, if you are successful with your weight loss it is likely you will need to have a body lift rather than a TT. Waiting will make the surgery much safer and give you a far better result.

All the best with your upcoming surgery

Richard

Body Lift

It is best to loose your weight and your weight stable for at least 6 months before proceeding with body contouring surgery.
Good Luck
Gaby Doumit MD

Gaby D. Doumit, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon