Please explain difference between Viola Reaction, Venus Legacy and Ultherapy?

I've had med spa consults where all three were suggested however still not clear on these technologies. Do they target different layers of skin? Do they target different parts of the body and face? Do they address same or different concerns? Are they complimentary or best used in conjuction? Can someone please explain how they work and what they address? My concerns are skin tightening/laxity on both face and body, crepiness on eyelids, hands, and joint areas and cellulite on thighs, belly and butt.

Venus Legacy/Ultherapy/Thermage

Venus Legacy is a radiofrequency device used to heat deep tissues and cause skin tightening and cellulite improvement. Ultherapy is focused ultrasound that is used at different depths to help wrinkles and skin tightening. My recommendation for all my patients that are candidates for RF treatments is: thermage (I like better than Ultherapy) first and then follow 2-3 weeks later with a Venus series of treatments. Best, Dr. Emer

Comparing Skin Tightening devices

Thanks for your question. Viola Reaction and Ultherapy do not treat cellulite. Venus legacy would be the option there. The Viola and Venus use Radio frequency to generate sufficient heat to induce a thermal injury resulting in new collagen formation. This will be effective in superficial layers if multiple treatments are done and maintenance treatments are required. Ultherapy utilizes microfocused ultrasound to generate heat. As this energy can be focused to hit a specific depth, it can achieve much higher Temps without burning surface skin (RF cannot skip layers, which limits the temp it can generate without causing surface burning). Thus Ultherapy is your go to on the face if you are looking for a real LIFT, not just some surface smoothing. Off label Ultherapy is being used on some of the areas you mention like abdomen and on skin above joints and it works BUT the cost to do such a large area tends to be prohibitive - like $1000 per above the knee! The company is working on making larger transducers which in the future may make it possible to deliver body skin tightening with Ultherapy at a more reasonable cost.
If you go to the Ultherapy website you can probably find some graphics that will help explain this
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Many options for nonsurgical skin tightening cause confusion

There are many radiofrequency (RF) devices on the market for nonsurgical skin tightening and a lot of marketing effort is directed at trying to show the often subtle differences between them. Ultherapy is the only FDA-cleared device that uses focused ultrasound for noninvasive skin lifting and rejuvenation. The focusuing enables the treatment to be delivered into the different layers under the skin with precision. All nonsurgical treatments have variable results because the ultimate effect depends on the body's response.

Richard Baxter, MD