I have a hiata hernia and my stomach is big. My question is can I get a tummy tuck to get rid of my gut?

If your hiatal hernia requires surgery, yes you can have a laparoscopic repair at the same time as a tummy tuck as long as your general surgeon and plastic surgeon work at the same facility. The benefit is only one anesthetic and one recovery period.

Hiatal hernia and a tummy tuck

Great question. My advice would be to do a combined procedure. Have a tummy tuck performed by your plastic surgeon at the same time as the performance of a laparoscopic repair of your hiatal hernia by a general surgeon.

TT and hiatal hernia

Dear Ewilson, Hiatal hernia is a defect in the diaphragm that cause the stomach to slide into the mediastinum. Sometimes it is associated with reflux symptoms . Tummy tuck surgery is external to the abdominal cavity but the increase intra abdominal pressure due to the muscle tightenning can incease the symptoms temporarily. That can improve with time because many of the patients who undergo TT lose weight and consequently reduce the intra abdominal pressure. You will have to get the opinion of a general surgeon as to the severity of the haital hernia. If it is mild , you can proceed with the TT other wise have the hernia fixed first and later do the TT. I do not recommend to do the 2 procedures at the same time because it will increase the complications rate. For the TT, consult with board certified plastic surgeons and check their before and after pictures to make sure that you like the results. Best of luck, Dr Widder

Hiatal hernia and tummy tuck

Most hiatal hernias can be managed with medication to reduce the acid formation. Hiatal hernias can also be fixed with laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery. if it turns out that your hernia can be fixed in this manner you could get your tummy tuck at the same time. This would allow you to have just one recovery and enable your tummy muscles to be tightened with affecting your hernia.

Abdominoplasty and Hiatal Hernia

A tummy tuck will improve the contour of the belly and removed excess skin and fat. The muscles can be tightened at the same time. The hiatal hernia may get worse if the muscles are tightened because of an increase in the pressure in the belly. Just taking care of the skin and fat should not make the hiatal hernia worse.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Many thanks for the question. Yes this is possible. Its the best time to correct your hiatus hernia and do an abdominoplasy. However having said some PS one must examine in great detail to let you know whethere this can be done since there are endless grades of your problem.I hope you find the right surgeon.

Combining Multiple Such as In a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   
Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor.

If your surgeon feels you are a candidate, it may be possible to add additional procedures such as those you mention. #Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.